IGNORED

Hoarding Z Parts

inline6

11 hours ago, inline6 said:

Anyway, it had a 5 speed, a 3.70 rear diff, and some really thick rubber, floor and hatch mats.  I recall them being about like a quarter to half inch thick.  They appeared to be factory.  Right hand drive of course, with L20A engine.

Hi inline6, what a interesting story it is, that car would appear to be ‘FairladyZ’ (basic model, code S30-S) because of its rubber mats and 3.70 rear diff. Maybe owner’s choice 5 speed.

Today I would like to ask one thing, is there anyone can provide me a bonnet catch bracket? I want a good , complete metal bracket for my car (I don’t need a catch mechanism ).

I have a new fuel tank vapor hose from Nissan, I hope there is someone who is willing to trade his/her metal bracket with my vapor hose. By the way, I was able to buy the hose from local Nissan in last summer. Now sadly became NLA though.

Kats

9C5003DF-7430-4102-ACB3-E5B9DF98D855.jpeg

58A32DC8-38B2-4764-8146-9D35A17067A5.jpeg

6A2B1DD8-CCCE-4E11-A726-5813E5C1EDA8.png

33778F89-2902-41A6-B09C-9430CCB74FD3.png

E8612BFF-3E09-436A-ACDF-5994525AAFB3.png

8 minutes ago, kats said:

Hi inline6, what a interesting story it is, that car would appear to be ‘FairladyZ’ (basic model, code S30-S) because of its rubber mats and 3.70 rear diff. Maybe owner’s choice 5 speed.

Today I would like to ask one thing, is there anyone can provide me a bonnet catch bracket? I want a good , complete metal bracket for my car (I don’t need a catch mechanism ).

Hi Katz, 

There is a bonnet catch bracket on eBay right now.  

19 hours ago, inline6 said:

His name was Ben Herman. ... {snipped..cjb}.........

My "Ben Herman" story:
Around 2000 a guy that had won a Nissan Vintage Z at a charity auction in Miami, Fl contacted me for information and advice. He had kept the VZ for just over a year and decided to resell it. He had bid on it just to contribute to the charity and wasn't a "Z Guy".  I told him as much as I could about the VZ's and suggested putting it on Ebay with a reasonable reserve. At that time, that would have been something around $20K.  (it was an A/T example).

About a month later I saw it on Ebay with an opening Bid at $9,000.00. I was surprised that I did not see the usual “Reserve Not Met”. So just to check, I put a Bid of $9100.00 in - and still not seeing any mention of a Reserve, I contacted the Seller suggesting that he end that auction, then re-list it with a Reserve. He did not do that and instead seemed angry with me for suggesting its sale on Ebay. I would find out a little later why the seller was mad at me….

Ben Herman put in another bid a few seconds before the end of the auction and “won” the car for $9,200.00. Ben wrote me a day or two later to say he was sorry to have “snipped me” on that auction. I replied saying that I had not put any higher bid in on the car, as I had no intention of buying it - I was just checking to see if there was or wasn’t a Reserve. (AIR - I had about 6 or 7 240Z’s already and no place to put any more). 

A few days later - I found out that Ben had ask the seller to hold the car for him, for 3 or 4 months, as he needed to sell some other parts to raise the money. The Seller told him that would be fine, if Ben sent a 10% non-refundable deposit. A couple more months went by and Ben had not sent the $920.00 deposit. Now I knew why the seller was upset, but I never understood why he blamed me for his mis-handling of the sale.

So, I told a friend of mine about the situation and suggested that he contact the seller directly and offer to buy the car. Which he did. The Seller and Buyer reached an agreed to price and the Buyer picked the VZ up the next day. 
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kats said:

I have a new fuel tank vapor hose from Nissan, I hope there is someone who is willing to trade his/her metal bracket with my vapor hose. By the way, I was able to buy the hose from local Nissan in last summer. Now sadly became NLA though.

I have a few of those brackets on my parts cars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl Beck said:

My "Ben Herman" story:
Around 2000 a guy that had won a Nissan Vintage Z at a charity auction in Miami, Fl contacted me for information and advice. He had kept the VZ for just over a year and decided to resell it. He had bid on it just to contribute to the charity and wasn't a "Z Guy".  I told him as much as I could about the VZ's and suggested putting it on Ebay with a reasonable reserve. At that time, that would have been something around $20K.  (it was an A/T example).

About a month later I saw it on Ebay with an opening Bid at $9,000.00. I was surprised that I did not see the usual “Reserve Not Met”. So just to check, I put a Bid of $9100.00 in - and still not seeing any mention of a Reserve, I contacted the Seller suggesting that he end that auction, then re-list it with a Reserve. He did not do that and instead seemed angry with me for suggesting its sale on Ebay. I would find out a little later why the seller was mad at me….

Ben Herman put in another bid a few seconds before the end of the auction and “won” the car for $9,200.00. Ben wrote me a day or two later to say he was sorry to have “snipped me” on that auction. I replied saying that I had not put any higher bid in on the car, as I had no intention of buying it - I was just checking to see if there was or wasn’t a Reserve. (AIR - I had about 6 or 7 240Z’s already and no place to put any more). 

A few days later - I found out that Ben had ask the seller to hold the car for him, for 3 or 4 months, as he needed to sell some other parts to raise the money. The Seller told him that would be fine, if Ben sent a 10% non-refundable deposit. A couple more months went by and Ben had not sent the $920.00 deposit. Now I knew why the seller was upset, but I never understood why he blamed me for his mis-handling of the sale.

So, I told a friend of mine about the situation and suggested that he contact the seller directly and offer to buy the car. Which he did. The Seller and Buyer reached an agreed to price and the Buyer picked the VZ up the next day. 

Hi Carl……I think I heard that same story last month in person   LOL. 

• Like 2

Anyone have a plastic evap tank for sale?  It doesn't need to be functional, but needs to be mostly complete.  I'm interested in using it as a model for fabrication of a metal replacement.  Previous owner of my 5/71 hammered up a later metal tank to "fit" as a replacement, but the factory mounts in the quarter panel are obviously set up for the earlier plastic tank.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:44 AM, foosman said:

Anyone have a plastic evap tank for sale?  It doesn't need to be functional, but needs to be mostly complete.  I'm interested in using it as a model for fabrication of a metal replacement.  Previous owner of my 5/71 hammered up a later metal tank to "fit" as a replacement, but the factory mounts in the quarter panel are obviously set up for the earlier plastic tank.

What about sourcing a correct metal tank?  My 6/71 has a metal tank that fits.  Let me know if you want pics of the mounting brackets on the car.

Edited by inline6

The Nissan parts book shows the metal one starting at 07/71 and the plastic one ending 06/71. @foosmanwhat is your production date? I do have a spare plastic one from a 12/70 parts car. I have no idea what they are worth but I don't need it as my 7/70 is a Canadian non-emissions car.  Edit, I just noticed you have a 5/71, let me know if you are interested.

image.png

Edited by CanTechZ

1 hour ago, inline6 said:

What about sourcing a correct metal tank?  My 5/71 has a metal tank that fits.  Let me know if you want pics of the mounting brackets on the car.

Thanks - I’d like to see that.  The fiche shows the original 17350-E4600, which I assume is the plastic tank, and that is replaced by 17350-E4601, which is what I have. 

37 minutes ago, CanTechZ said:

The Nissan parts book shows the metal one starting at 07/71 and the plastic one ending 06/71. @foosmanwhat is your production date? I do have a spare plastic one from a 12/70 parts car. I have no idea what they are worth but I don't need it as my 7/70 is a Canadian non-emissions car.  Edit, I just noticed you have a 5/71, let me know if you are interested.

image.png

@CanTechZ I would be interested - pm me and we can discuss details.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:53 PM, jfa.series1 said:

Just over four years ago my buddy @zed2 and I heard that there were some parts available a bit north of us so we made a road trip up to Sherman TX. We met with a guy that owned his own railroad station (another story there!) and he explained that a good friend was in the VA hospital dying of cancer. The friend was an old Datsun mechanic that had assembled some parts over the years and this guy was trying to sell some of them to help with the friend's bills. We followed him to another community and were introduced to what turned out to be a motherload of Z parts. There were several S30's and a couple of S130's on the property, a small dilapidated pole shed with some parts and a 30' shipping container. When opened, the shippiing container revealed boxes of parts lining both walls, all marked with the contents. With only limited time available that day we made a hurried sample inspection and made arrangements for a return trip with more time and more money.

On the return trip we moved and inspected every box, setting aside those of further interest. I ended up with a lengthy list of purchases that filled the entire cargo compartment of my Xterra. A hoped for third trip was not to happen as the mechainc died and his property went into probate with the nearest family in Nebraska. I often wonder what became of the remaining parts hoard.

Bells03.jpg

Bells04.jpg

Bells05.jpg

Bells06.jpg

Bells07.jpg

Bells10.jpg

OMG I wish I'd have known, I would have gone with you!  I'm in the Austin area, have a truck and trailer...we could have picked up so much stuff in one trip.  😞