IGNORED

Hoarding Z Parts

inline6

I've been restoring a 240z for over 4 years now, and in that time, I have been having fun collecting parts for it.  It seems to me that there is a fun aspect of this car hobby that comes from finding and obtaining old Datsun parts.  I suspect there are many of us here who are "hoarders", those who engage is this aspect of the hobby and who have collected either a large amount of Z parts, or perhaps, some amount of quite valuable Z parts?  Or, both?  

So, who are you on the spectrum?  Are you focused on collecting parts for just one car... or do you have a hoard to be envied in either its massive size, or high value?  And please share some description or pictures of the discontinued/rare exceptional parts you have.  

• Agree 1

Now that the Z is done, I really have no desire to hoard parts.  As long as consumables remain available to keep it on the road, that's enough.  This is my fifth and final 240Z I'll own.

I'd much rather see my spare parts in circulation going towards other enthusiast's restorations than being stockpiled to be estate liquidated after I'm dead.    

20201018_122423[1].jpg

• Agree 1

I don't maintain much of a stock of Nissan parts, but there are many parts I keep in stock, either for my cars or to help other people with their cars. I did buy a bunch of combo switches about 10 years ago that I have used for parts and to help others keep their Zs lit up.

Then again, I'm not striving to do a restoration like yours. I am more of a person who enjoys keeping them running.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, inline6 said:

collected either a large amount of Z parts, or perhaps, some amount of quite valuable Z parts?  Or, both?  

I drove my first Z in 1991 (280zx) and 6 weeks later bought a 240z.. that one was a mess.. so after some time i took it apart and stored all the parts on the attic. I still have some of them. Since the later 90's i'm a visitor of the local marketplace with DATSUN as the search word..

I saw how a 75 euro gearbox went to 1500 euro (incl. warranty.) for a 280zx 5 speed.. in 10 years time or so..

These days i sold some pretty nice new special parts like orig. fender mirrors in the orig.box..  I had a topic made of the special and/or rare parts i and others have.. i could bring it to life again i think..

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 12:15 PM, DatsunZGuy said:

Now that the Z is done, I really have no desire to hoard parts.  As long as consumables remain available to keep it on the road, that's enough.  This is my fifth and final 240Z I'll own.

I'd much rather see my spare parts in circulation going towards other enthusiast's restorations than being stockpiled to be estate liquidated after I'm dead.    

If I am honest, one of the reasons I started this thread is that I know there are people here who have lots of spares, but the classifieds section doesn't get much attention.  Perhaps the classifieds section is too cumbersome to use. 

There are certainly parts in the hands of members here that will never make their way back into cars and that is a shame.  So everyone, please consider this an opportunity to tell the other members that you have parts that you would be willing to let go of.  Your post could just be - "I have some parts I'd be willing to let go of".  Or, you could include a description and pictures.  Hell, if you need help creating a listing for the classifieds, let me know.  I'll help and see how that goes.  Help prevent liquidation of your Z stuff at an estate auction (or from being thrown in the garbage) after you are dead. 

And, if you don't want to sell stuff, but just want to share cool parts in your possession, then please do!   And please provide pics!

I recently scored on eBay by buying a NOS lock that came with these:

IMG_20230105_194947.jpg

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1

I have alot of parts. Most of which I hold onto because I dont want them in the landfill. At some point I might get serious about getting rid of them. I'm not sure the classifieds is the best method. I have had mixed results there. I agree with the sentiment that somebody is probably looking for something I have and dont want much for and would like to see go to a good home.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 8:59 PM, Patcon said:

I have alot of parts. Most of which I hold onto because I dont want them in the landfill. At some point I might get serious about getting rid of them. I'm not sure the classifieds is the best method. I have had mixed results there. I agree with the sentiment that somebody is probably looking for something I have and dont want much for and would like to see go to a good home.

I think there must be too much "friction in the process", meaning providing information about what exists to be sold by the seller, and an any easy way for the buyer to find what one needs without wasting time viewing items not needed, etc.  eBay, forums, craigslist, Facebook, etc. are where people are spending time looking.  But, each is lacking.  Also, a lack of motivation/desire/initiative is an issue preventing selling/buying.

Can I hit you up with a PM of my current list of stuff I am after?

Edited by inline6
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, zed2 said:

I post all the surplus parts I want to sell on Craigslist.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/plano-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-parts/7566587364.html

Keith

Thanks for letting us know.  Craigslist functionality is geographic/regional by default, so it can be hard for buyers outside your area to find the info.  Do you ship, or do you find that you can find enough buyers in your region?

Here is a tip for searchers if they have time and patience.  It works to look at listings on Craigslist in more than one's own geo area using the special Google search command "site:"

put your search words first, then a space, then "site:craigslist.org" like this:

image.png

The special site: search works for any site.  I use it to find stuff on Amazon without looking through all the garbage they want to push (their search results are awful).  I also use it for searching this site.  For example, try "original carpets site:classiczcars.com".  Do not include the www. or https or whatever is in front.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, inline6 said:

Do you ship, or do you find that you can find enough buyers in your region?

Somehow, someway buyers find the ad, even outside the US. For international sales, I direct the buyer to an eBay ad. eBay offers Global Shipping Program which allow the seller to ship to a US address, then eBay coordinates the international delivery.

Keith

• Like 2

PM is fine

When I search craigslist, I use searchtempest. It does a pretty good job of pulling up results.

Alot of this has moved to marketplace but I'm not a big Facebook user and don't want to run their app on my phone. Which makes transactions and communication more difficult