IGNORED

[2023] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

The 280Z continues to run well.  I filled the tank today with 12 gallons of fresh gas, so there is about 3:1 new versus old.  It already seems to run a bit better over 4,000 RPM, though I haven't pushed it hard.  The fuel gauge went to full, so as of now, everything works except the vacuum-controled HVAC.  The hoses are all brittle, so I ordered a 50' roll of vac hose that hasn't arrived yet.

The carpet in the car is completely worn out and faded, so I'm trying to decide which vendor to go with.  Amazon has ACC for $348 with free shipping.  StockInteriors.com has what looks like the same exact kit, though they don't mention ACC.  Their current price is $325 + $75 for shipping.  Factory Interiors has the same ACC kit as Amazon for $288 + $71 shipping.  ZCarDepot has a kit that doesn't specify the vendor, quality, etc. for $299 + $30 shipping.  Finally, there is Newark Auto.  They have a kit for $275 with free shipping.  The ACC kit is molded, while the Newark kit is not.  Is one better than the other?  What kit have others had good luck with?

I've been very busy with work and have been quiet on this forum for while now, but I still read the posts and still glean important knowledge and laughs from all of you.   To my pleasure my Z has run great over the past year without any issues, and as of late, been driving it about 3 to four days a week. It's turned out to be a good solid car.  Today, while driving home, I caught nice rock on the windshield from oncoming traffic. I saw it coming and could do nothing.🥴   I'm hoping it's repairable so I'm taking it to a windshield repair place ASAP so it won't spread.  

IMG_1146.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 5

After a few trouble-free weeks of driving, my headlights started acting up. Sometimes, they won't come on, but after a few tries with the switch, they work. In addition now, the RH light isn't working at all. A test light shows power at the connector by the fender, so I cleaned the contacts with no change. I then removed the lamp and I also have power at the bulb socket, so I put 12V directly to the lamp and it works fine. With everything back together, the light is still dead. Time to dig deeper. 

With the high beams switched on, the LH light is dim and the RH is still dead. Clearly I have issues, so I need to go through the whole system. 

The morning drive to work is dark enough to need the lights on for other traffic, but not for me. In the coming weeks, I will need them to see. 

• Like 1

After a few trouble-free weeks of driving, my headlights started acting up. Sometimes, they won't come on, but after a few tries with the switch, they work. In addition now, the RH light isn't working at all. A test light shows power at the connector by the fender, so I cleaned the contacts with no change. I then removed the lamp and I also have power at the bulb socket, so I put 12V directly to the lamp and it works fine. With everything back together, the light is still dead. Time to dig deeper. 
With the high beams switched on, the LH light is dim and the RH is still dead. Clearly I have issues, so I need to go through the whole system. 
The morning drive to work is dark enough to need the lights on for other traffic, but not for me. In the coming weeks, I will need them to see. 

IIRC the lights each have a positive feed from the fuse box and connect to the negative through the stalk switch as one. So if one side is working, I wager you have a break on the way back to the stalk switch from that side. Did you do a continuity test on the -ve side of the bulb holder?

The lights are working again.  With some coaching from @Randalla, I pulled the combo switch and cleaned the contacts.  That got both high beams working, but not the RH low beam.  That issue turned out to be the bulb socket.  I cleaned the terminals on the bulb and the socket and everything works again.  

Edited by Jeff G 78
  • Like 4