IGNORED

240Z restorations, what's right and what's not

SpeedRoo

3 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

On my cars, the yellow paint (I assume lacquer) was blotched on with a brush.  Fairly messy, seemingly applied in a hurry.

So, I looked at all my glass, from both cars, and I can't tell what from the chart.  I have some LAMISAFE M-146 and some TEMPERLITE M-215

Hi Chris, let’s find out! You can’t see dots around ASAHI or LAMISAFE , or TEMPERLITE, sometimes those glasses are really difficult to see the dots as if almost scratched out. I want to see your glasses if feasible.

Kats

Good engineering practice to put a paint mark on any nut/bolt that has been torqued to spec. Indicates the task has been completed. Also provides a visual aid to show if the nut/bolt has backed off or been tampered with. Takes time to do and as they made more Z cars in greater quantities, they used the practice less and less and just did it in a few locations.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2022 at 1:28 PM, DatsunZGuy said:

P/N 99999-20015 (a.k.a.) the Nissan Service Manual for Model L20A, L24 Series Engines, Page ET-5 appears to show a clip style clamp on the outflow part of the fuel strainer.  It's hard to make out in the photo, but it looks like the typical Philips head wire band hose clamp from the hose to the fuel pump side.

So the green 240Z appears to be setup closer to the original.

image.png

There is no Voltage Regulator Cover (VRC) in this photo.  Therefore, does anyone know the production date the VRC was first used?

Thanks,

Keith

9 hours ago, zed2 said:

There is no Voltage Regulator Cover (VRC) in this photo.  Therefore, does anyone know the production date the VRC was first used?

Thanks,

Keith

Below is a photograph taken from the 1970 240Z sale brochure.  A plastic cover can been seen over the voltage regulator. I assume the car (perhaps a late single-digit VIN) was released for the North American promotion circuit and pictures taken to create promotion/marketing slicks.  I would guess all production cars had the cover installed.

The car missing the cover was probably an engineering mule destined to be taken apart for the service manual and never left the factory complex.

image.png

https://xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/1970-Datsun-240Z.pdf

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 2:10 AM, SpeedRoo said:

Good engineering practice to put a paint mark on any nut/bolt that has been torqued to spec. Indicates the task has been completed. Also provides a visual aid to show if the nut/bolt has backed off or been tampered with. Takes time to do and as they made more Z cars in greater quantities, they used the practice less and less and just did it in a few locations.

image.jpeg

Is that zink on the exhaust ? I don't get the marker thing, it's not like there are 500 nuts and bolts to torque down.. But anyhow if people feel better doing that, that's fine

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, SpeedRoo said:

image.jpeg

Interesting how they used paint to mark self locking nuts, which will never come loose, but nothing on the differential cover bolts, which have nothing save for a lock washer under the head.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Interesting how they used paint to mark self locking nuts, which will never come loose, but nothing on the differential cover bolts, which have nothing save for a lock washer under the head.

The yellow paint marks were applied to certain fastenings that were part of the production line process at Nissan Shatai's Hiratsuka plant.

Since the differential wasn't assembled at Hiratsuka - same as the engine and transmission - the guys on check duty at Hiratsuka would most likely not have been tasked with checking & marking them. 

As for self-locking nuts, I should imagine the guys tasked with checking and marking them were making sure they were (A) present and correct and (B) torqued to spec.  

• Like 3