IGNORED

Float level madness

madkaw

@madkaw....if you have 72 3 screw carbs where the front bowl lid has longer ears....in my opinion you will never really get the front carb adjusted.

What I do now, successfully, is I put a short ear bowl lid on the front carb. Then I use the short needle jets on both. This also helps with the problem of the float hitting the float chamber wall.

As Site says....the shape of the float tang is key too. As in his photo above, needs to be curved. The reason...in my opinion...is that the newer needle jets have a very thin needle and they are very sloppy in their movement. They get stuck on a tang that isn't shaped ideally. The original needle jets had much thicker needles and were rounded at the tip so they moved much more easily along the tang. My opinion.

I think I read that you picked up a spare set of carbs. Try using the short ear lid on your customer's front carb....get the float tang shape right....and I bet you are money.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did get another lid and have both short ears on there . I have my float sync tool and messed with float levels forever .

I come up short-  no matter what I try to get the correct height . I said time to try it .

It seems the engine want at least 4 turns out to be happy . That also varies from start to start . I need to check the incoming fuel pressure to make sure it’s adequate or maybe too much . 

I do have my wideband working so I am shooting for about 13.5 at idle . 

. Did I say I hate carbs :-0

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2022 at 12:20 PM, siteunseen said:

Yeah I set mine like the DVD from ztherapy shows, however the DVD uses Grose valves which are much stiffer than the new needle pin valves they sold me. I turned the lids upside down to get the 9/16" space the DVD shows. My tangs looked like the ramps Evel Knievel used to jump the Bellagio fountains. I finally got wise/bored and put the floats and lids on top of a glass, hooked up a low psi fuel pump and set them to 23mm down. Then the tangs look like speed bumps instead of ramps now.

I believe it was the fountains at Caesars now that i think about it. I's just a puppy when I saw that. 

240 S/U's no start - Help Me !! - The Classic Zcar Club

This basically how I did mine - thanks Cliff. I think the speed bump tang  is important . 
Floats seem more consistent . 

• Like 1