IGNORED

Clutch Won't Disengage

adivin

I'd measure first.  The labels in that picture of the four TOB's doesn't actually mean much.  It's the pressure plate size that matters, for the Type B transmissions, not the car or transmission.

I think that there is a 225 mm version and a 240 mm version for the 280Z's, and probably an early monkey motion 4 speed version for the 240Z's.   Basically there's a tall and a short for what you're working with.

Anyway, if you take a measurement and know what you need I think that somebody like @Terrapin Z would have one.  He actually measured several in the recent past and posted the numbers.  I'll see if I can find the thread.  It might be at the end of that one I linked, not sure.

I found the numbers at the end of that thread.  Also added a post.

I pulled the numbers from Terrapin Z's measurements, from the ears to the bearing surface.  Wonder why there are four.  Doesn't really make sense.

Everyone hold the phone.  I now suspect I was sent the wrong clutch and pressure plate!  From looking at my order info and part numbers, it appears I may have been sent a clutch kit for a 89-96 300ZX...dammit!  I will confirm this with the vendor tomorrow.  This could be the problem ya think?  It could also explain why it was such a bitch to get the tranny installed.  The last half inch was a bastard.

Could you post a picture of the receipt?  Delete your personal info.  Or post the link that you bought it from.  Where did you get it?  Fidanza drills their flywheels to fit multiple pressure plates.  Might be that that kit will work with Fidanza's wheel.

But if you were jamming the disc forward while bolting the transmission down it would be held against the flywheel by the shaft.  That would be a problem. 

6 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Bought mine from Nissan 2 years ago. 83ZX 5 speed. Are you running the 240mm clutch?

Yes, I am running a 240mm clutch.  I was just about to order the collar for a 280ZX.

4 minutes ago, Yarb said:

You should not have had to shove that transmission in. Did you end up drawing it together with the trans bolts? Hope not…

I knew better than to use the bolts to draw it in, but it was a very difficult install for that last inch or so.  The only way I could get it was with the engine and trans both out of the car.

The last 1/2 inch might be the pilot bushing in the crankshaft.  

You haven't said if the fork is hitting the back of the hole. 

Looks like the vendor might be right.  The 240 mm pressure plate does fit many different applications.  I think I might have known that once in the past.  

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1990,300zx,3.0l+v6,1209686,transmission-manual,clutch+pressure+plate,1988

image.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1