IGNORED

1973 240z Custom Wiring From Scratch

Matthew Abate

I've made major progress on my wiring diagram. I didn't finish the fuel harness for the rear of the car because I don't have one handy, but I don't think it is that important for moving forward. I do have a handful of mysteries, though. I think they are mostly caused by my having an engine harness for an automatic, but I am not sure. I will try comparing the two wiring diagrams in the morning.

In the mean time, maybe someone knows the answers…

1. On the two blue 10-pin connectors that join the dashboard harness to the engine harness, I have a Black wire with a Yellow stripe missing from both sides. It's in the FSM on pages BE-2 and BE-3 but the only thing I am seeing in the actual diagram (page BE-5) is the Black wire with a Yellow stripe that goes to the water tank. In my harness that wire is actually Black with a White stripe, and most of the Black wires with a Yellow stripe are related to the seatbelt relay, the throttle opener, and the thermo relay.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 8.13.36 PM.png

2. On my engine harness I have a Black wire that has been cut, which I have labeled "battery ground?" in the drawing below, but that probably isn't right. It comes out of the main trunk of the harness near the seatbelt relay for the automatic car and runs back to the green 10-pin connector that joins the dashboard harness to the engine harness. That wire is completely missing on the dashboard side.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 8.16.25 PM.png

3. I have three cut wires and a missing wire that I am pretty sure are related to the thermo switch and the throttle opener, but I want to be entirely sure.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 8.19.20 PM.png

I am pretty certain that the Black wire with a Yellow stripe, which has been cut, goes to the throttle opener. The Green and Black wires, also cut, branch from the main trunk of the harness at the same point as the Black wire with a Yellow stripe, near the distributor in the front left corner of the engine bay. On the other end, the Green wire connects to the Voltage Regulator, the Distributor Condenser, and ultimately the fuel pump in the back of the car. The Black wire connects to all of the other black wires in the Engine Harness going to the lights, Alternator, Starter, and the Intermittent Relay. In retrospect, I think these two wires go to the Thermo Switch and control the EGR vacuum control.

The missing one is the Green wire with a Black stripe, which could be one of the other three and is just mislabeled in the FSM, or could be entirely missing. I'm pretty sure it's missing because there should be a GB wire going to the green 10-pin connector that connects to the dashboard harness in the pin highlighted with the red circle below. This GB wire would connect to the Yellow wire with a Red stripe on the dashboard harness, which we have previously discussed as being for the throttle opener. In the FSM this is shown going to the Relay Assembly Type K24 (Throttle Opener Relay), but on the manual cars.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 8.56.48 PM.png

4. I have three items in the FSM wiring diagram that I am missing in my own because I don't have any connectors remaining to identify. Here's what's in the FSM:

• Solenoid Valve Assembly (EGR Vacuum Control) - Different from the Throttle Opener Vacuum Control
  • Thermo Switch Assembly (Temp Sending Switch) - This is probably two of the cut wires above
  • Relay Assembly Type K5 (Distributor Relay) - Possibly unimportant since I am switching to an e12-80
  • Inhibitor Switch - Possibly what I have labeled as the Seatbelt Relay, which is what the FSM has that connector labeled on page BE-2
Edited by Matthew Abate

Next to last step (other than identifying those damned cut wires) is to map the relays to the harnesses, so I went through my pile o' parts and this is what I have:

IMG_6243.JPG

Voltage Regulator #1 - Elecman HBA12-2 by F.D. Japan, 6 wires (Y, W, WR, BW, WB, and B)

IMG_6244.JPG

Voltage Regulator #2 - Product HBA12-2 by F.D. Japan, 6 wires (Y, W, WR, BW, WB, and B)

IMG_6245.JPG

Electric Fuel Pump Relay - HR1-14 12v 706 (PN 25235 P0101) by Hitachi

IMG_6246.JPG

Ballast Resistor - RC-15 by Hanshin

IMG_6247.JPG

Two different distributor condensers - The longer one is a NC-47CT-A2 150v 47m capacitor by NCC. The other is illegible.

IMG_6249.JPG

The front of my relay bundle - Clockwise from bottom:

• Windshield Wiper Relay by Jideco (PN 28820-N3300)
  • 3-pin 12v 15A Horn Relay by Miyanmoto Japan
  • 4-pin Defroster Relay
  • 6-pin Fuel Pump Relay by Jideco (PN 25230 89915)
  • 3-pin MR2-101 Accessory Relay by Jideco (PN 25230 39914)

IMG_6250.JPG

The rear of my relay bundle has a HF546A 12v Heavy Duty Flasher Relay by Niles

IMG_6248.JPG

And another 6 pin relay with no markings by Jideco. Could be a Choke or Headlight Relay, or another Fuel Pump Relay as above.

Edited by Matthew Abate

I'm almost certain the G and B wires are for the Thermostat Relay. The FSM indicates there should be 2 B wires and an RB wire as well, which come off the distributor and the distributor relay. I am missing that connector in my AT harness, so that has to be it. Here it is illustrated on page BE-2 of the FSM:

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 3.36.05 PM.png

Edited by Matthew Abate

I unearthed another box of wiring harnesses I had buried in my basement which has shed light on some things above, specifically the Fuel Pump Relay and how that fits into the rest of things. This thread started by @conedodger prompted me to look for the harnesses that were added in late 1973 shown in the illustration below supplied by @Carl Beck:

On 9/11/2012 at 11:46 AM, Carl Beck said:

post-3609-14150820278571_thumb.jpg

So here's what I found:

IMG_6252.JPG

Clockwise from far right, they are…

• Fuel Pump Harness A (PN 24032-N3300)
  • Electric Fuel Pump & Fuel Sender Unit Harness (PN 24815 E8200)
  • Fuel Pump Harness B (PN 24034 N3300)
  • Fan Blower Switch Harness (PN 27155 E4400)
  • Climate Control Face Harness (PN 24026 N3300)

So it looks like the one thing I am missing is Relay A (PN 25235 P0100) from the illustration @Carl Beck provided, which I have seen labeled as a heater relay or an Auto Choke Relay, but seems NLA like all the others.

Should be fun trying to scrounge this, but first I need to add these 5 harnesses to my diagram and spreadsheets.

Edited by Matthew Abate
  • Like 1

Someone asked me why I’m making all new harnesses from scratch rather than rebuilding what I have, and I think these photos answer that question. I have problems like these throughout all of my wiring across the entire car:

13EB441B-A03B-4EF5-AB25-C1BE23F59FD5.jpeg

0E5562FB-7314-4A86-9FAA-B4A5A84B67DB.jpeg

EED71ABE-44FF-45B8-834B-20EF210E256D.jpeg

A2E83B07-E146-4752-A006-E609FEA0DFA6.jpeg

Edited by Matthew Abate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:00 AM, Matthew Abate said:

Two different distributor condensers - The longer one is a NC-47CT-A2 150v 47m capacitor by NCC. The other is illegible.

There are three condensers on the car, one on the distributor for the points and two for noise suppression. One connects to a male spade on the positive post of the coil and is grounded using the ballast resistor mounting bolt. The other one goes on the alternator + and -. Don’t buy the cheap ones from places like Rock Auto. None of the ones I bought lasted for more than a couple of hours. Napa has quality ones built in Mexico.

2 hours ago, Matthew Abate said:

Someone asked me why I’m making all new harnesses from scratch rather than rebuilding what I have, and I think these photos answer that question. I have problems like these throughout all of my wiring across the entire car:

Nothing quite as good as something brand new! You also gain immense knowledge of your wiring circuits. Countless times I have ran into an electrical mishap (be it my fault or a faulty part) and I can still think back to when I did my wiring harness to diagnose the issue without the need for diagrams. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 240dkw said:

There are three condensers on the car, one on the distributor for the points and two for noise suppression. One connects to a male spade on the positive post of the coil and is grounded using the ballast resistor mounting bolt. The other one goes on the alternator + and -. Don’t buy the cheap ones from places like Rock Auto. None of the ones I bought lasted for more than a couple of hours. Napa has quality ones built in Mexico.

Thanks! I’m going to delete the points and move to electronic ignition, but good to know about the others.

In a quick google search I’m seeing a coil condenser and a voltage regulator condenser. Are these the other two, or is the coil condenser the same as the distributor condenser?

I’m also seeing one for automatic transmissions.

Edited by Matthew Abate

Coil = Ignition Coil

The coil condenser should be attached to the positive terminal of the coil.

The condensers for the charging circuit are not documented in the 240Z wiring diagrams. The 260Z is the first that shows them. There is one on the WR (main) wire and another on the BW wire before the VR.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the additional details!

Here are a couple more tables…

1973 240z Fuel Pump Harness A (24032-N3300) Inventory
Position Component Connector Color Connector Style Direction # of Pins # of Wires Sample Wire Color Min. Feet of Wire Needed Wire Gauge
Engine Harness
White
Nylon
Male
Yellow [See Voltage Regulator] 14 AWG
Yellow [See Voltage Regulator] 14 AWG
[See Voltage Regulator] 14 AWG
Black w/ White [See Voltage Regulator] 14 AWG
Yellow w/ Black [See Voltage Regulator] 14 AWG
Black [See Voltage Regulator] 14 AWG
Voltage Regulator
White
Nylon
Female
Black 1 (from Engine Harness) 14 AWG
Yellow w/ Black 1 (from Engine Harness) 14 AWG
Black w/ White 1 (from Engine Harness) 14 AWG
Yellow 1 (from Engine Harness) 14 AWG
Yellow
1 (from Engine Harness) 14 AWG
[See Fuel Pump Junction B] 14 AWG
3 Fuel Pump Clear Spade Female 1 1 Black w/ Yellow [See Fuel Pump Junction A] 14 AWG
4 Fuel Pump Junction A Clear Spade Female 1 1 Black w/ Yellow 4 (from Voltage Regulator) 14 AWG
5 Fuel Pump Junction B Clear Bullet Female 1 1 Yellow 3 (from Fuel Pump) 14 AWG

1973 240z Fuel Pump Harness B (24034-N3300) Inventory
Position Component Connector Color Connector Style Direction # of Pins # of Wires Sample Wire Color Min. Feet of Wire Needed Wire Gauge
Dashboard Harness
White
Nylon
Male
Green [See Fuel Pump Relay] 12 AWG
Black w/ White [See Fuse Loop] 12 AWG
Fuse Loop
White
Nylon
Female
Green [See Heater / Choke Relay] 12 AWG
Black w/ White 1 (from Dashboard Harness) 12 AWG
Fuel Harness B
White
Nylon
Male
Green [See 20 Amp Fuse] 12 AWG
Black w/ White [See 20 Amp Fuse] 12 AWG
20 Amp Fuse
White
Nylon
N/A
Green 1 (from Fuel Harness B) 12 AWG
Black w/ White 1 (from Fuel Harness B) 12 AWG
Fuel Pump Relay
White
Nylon
Female
Black w/ White [See Fuel Pump Junction A] 12 AWG
Green [See Heater / Choke Relay] 12 AWG
Green 5 (from Dashboard Harness) 12 AWG
Black
[See Heater / Choke Relay] 14 AWG
[See Ground] 14 AWG
6 Ground Black Ring N/A 1 1 Black 1 (from Fuel Pump Relay)  
Heater / Choke Relay

Green 5 (from Fuse Loop) 12 AWG
Yellow [See Fuel Pump Junction B] 12 AWG
Black 1 (from Fuel Pump Relay) 14 AWG
Green 1 (from Fuel Pump Relay) 12 AWG
8 Fuel Pump Junction A Clear Spade Male 1 1 Black w/ White 2 (from Fuel Pump Relay) 12 AWG
9 Fuel Pump Junction B Clear Bullet Male 1 1 Yellow 2 (from Heater / Choke Relay) 12 AWG
Edited by Matthew Abate

This whole exercise has been a series of forehead slapping moments. Today was another one, where I realized that the bullet connectors making a junction on the fuel sending unit harness are there for connecting a fuel pump, which explains why there is no connector for said fuel pump. Mine doesn't have this, but there should be blue tape holding them down, which we all know by now is the giant beacon Nissan supplied for all optional components:

IMG_20160405_223052.jpg.3413131f3a3f622b77d8a778411812ef.jpg

(Image Source)

I went round and round on this, but then I realized that the blue tape meant "optional" so the corroded bullet connectors in my post from yesterday had to be the way they meant for us to connect an electric fuel pump.

Anyway, here's the table for it:

1973 240z Electric Fuel Pump & Fuel Sender Unit Harness (24815-E8200) Inventory
Body Harness A
White
Nylon
Male
Black [See Yellow Splice A] 14 AWG
Yellow [See Sending Unit] 14 AWG
2 Body Harness B White Nylon Male 1 1 Green [See Fuel Pump] 12 AWG
3 Chassis Ground Black Ring N/A 1 1 Black [See Yellow Splice A] 12 AWG
Yellow Splice A
N/A
N/A
N/A