IGNORED

‘77 2 doors coup drive shaft U-joint replacement

240zadmire

Greetings folks

I’m in the process of rebuilding the transmission and has the driveshaft out.  The driveshaft’s U-joint are irreplaceable, base on this forum and many other sources online.  However, some did suggest it can be done and I also saw some YouTube that people just hammer out the similar U-joint with the stakes in it.  I wonder has anyone done this before and did it leave any major burr, marks of the stakes.  I also read the alternative U-joint is made by company Rockford part number 430-10  

if anyone has done this and has some photos, much appreciated

regards

Well, it’s one of those thing…. Since it’s already out, 44 years old, let do it kinda thing.  I guess I can hold it off until it breaks as it is not too hard to take off from the car.  Some time you read too much worries you more.  Heard story a broken driveshaft almost took a guy leg.  Kinda hard to believe but who knows.  It’s the internet you know 

Most of the damage related to broken driveshafts and flywheels and such are from high horse power drag racing scenarios. It can be very dangerous is you low quality parts in that situation.

The original factory u joints are very high quality. If it's wasn't broke, I wouldn't break it. You might try to grease them though, if possible

• Like 1
  • Agree 1