IGNORED

I thought I was done with Z cars

emccallum

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to repair one but it was a later model with the plastic cogwheel in it.. pfff.. useless.. all the tooth's/cogs(?) break off...) 

Then i found 3 clocks on the local market website and decided to take the plunge.. it worked! interchanged the clocks and now it's waiting to get installed but i have no energy for it...   Tested the other 2 clocks (they are a bit different square framed ones.. from the smaller datsuns and they both run like new!  I have no idea if i can put those into a round unit , 240-260-280z clock housing.

Update.....clock stopped overnight. As soon as I tap the clock it started back up. Like a fancy Rolex, perpetual motion!

With the clocks like mine, I think the issue is gunk in the mechanism. I think I now understand how they work. At first I thought the motor was too weak, although it was running removed. After looking at how it works, it seems gunk binds it up. I have a bag of old clocks to play with. Works until maybe the hour hand gear has to move and binds it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emccallum said:

the issue is gunk in the mechanism.

You could try to clean it with some alcohol. Clean it with a cotton-swab with some alcohol.. but watch out not to leave some fibers of it in the clock mechanism. Do NOT oil it as that will attract dust and make it worse. (also when ready, make a closed compartment around the clock for keeping it clean.)

On 12/21/2022 at 6:01 AM, emccallum said:

Update.....clock stopped overnight. As soon as I tap the clock it started back up. Like a fancy Rolex, perpetual motion!

With the clocks like mine, I think the issue is gunk in the mechanism. I think I now understand how they work. At first I thought the motor was too weak, although it was running removed. After looking at how it works, it seems gunk binds it up. I have a bag of old clocks to play with. Works until maybe the hour hand gear has to move and binds it. 

Do any of the staffs run on ruby bearings?

Or are oilite bushings used?

Edited by Racer X

Ernest,

How are your pictures stored? I would be interested in getting a copy of them, if that's doable. I lost all of my original pictures from disassembly and that makes reassembly more challenging!

I have cd's we could burn, sd cards or a flash drive.

C