IGNORED

What spline lug lock is this??

On 8/15/2021 at 7:36 PM, Shawninvancouver said:

This is brutal.  Bought a mcguard. They sold me wrong size.  Bought a deep 12 point socket.  No luck. It had a 1/2 inch wrench fit I don’t have.  This sucks

You don’t have any 1/2” drive tools?

A torque wrench for tightening the wheel lugs will be 1/2” drive. Don’t tell us you don’t torque your lug nuts.

1 hour ago, Shawninvancouver said:

You think they made thousands of moulds for every lug nut??? That would be insane.

It's done by computer, and it's not a mold, it's a milling machine.  What good is a lock if one key fits many of them?  That would be insane.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 8/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, Shawninvancouver said:

It’s a 9 spline.  I do not have a welder.  It’s not a full spline down the whole length of long lug. It’s smooth like a cone most of the way then tiny grooves at the bottom.  I have hammered a socket on there so bloody hard.  Then tried to hammer the socket wrench. It keeps slipping off as it’s on a smooth lug.  I will try to dremsl flat sides on the end to get an open ended wrench on.  I would just like to find the bloody key.  Not on Amazon or eBay or even in the 16 part key set.    

If it is a puzzle lock, the only way to get a replacement key is to have the code that came with the locks when new, then contact the manufacturer and request a replacement key.

Otherwise a replacement will be impossible to get.

The reason you can’t get a socket hammered on to work is because the nut is smooth, so there isn’t anything for the socket to bite into. You may find success using a dremel to cut some flats into the nut and then force a socket on to try and remove it.

If you are going to keep trying to work on your car yourself, you need to invest in some good quality tools, and I’m not talking Harbor Freight.

At this point you will be better off taking it to a shop where an experienced mechanic can get it done.

• Agree 2

https://www.gorilla-auto.com/replacement-keys

"A Wheel Lock Registrations Key is required to identify the unique key for all Original Gorilla Wheel Locks, X2 Locks, Gorilla Guard or Small Diameter Wheel Locks.

Replacement Small Diameter Lug Nut and Hex Lug Nut Sockets can also be ordered using Key Registration Number or Part Number stamped on your Gorilla socket.

Why do I need my Wheel Lock Key Registration Number?

We are the leading wheel lock manufacturer for good reason, your unique wheel locks and key are nearly impossible to identify through simple visual inspection. Your unique key/lock combination is one of thousands of possible combinations which means your investment is protected."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawninvancouver said:

Have not needed one yet as I can’t even get wheel locks off. Once I get locks off i will get rest of tools to take other lugs off?

will

my 19v impact do it?

I never use power tools on lug nuts. The risk of galling the threads and the seats on the wheels is too great. I have a long handle 1/2” drive ratchet to break them loose, a 1/2” drive T handle to remove and reinstall them, and a 1/2” drive torque wrench to do the final tightening.

It ain’t a NASCAR pit stop, right?

And I’m not trying to beat the flat rate book time either.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

I never did but probably should have.  I think that I used to over-torque my aluminum wheels and was distorting the rims at the seat, squishing it there.  The lug nuts used to get stuck in the holes and I'd use a rat tail file to open them up a little.  Probably Not Good.

Now I have a Ford truck that specs 150 ft-lbs per nut on steel rims.  So I bought a wrench and used it.  That's a lot of torque.