IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

That is a nice system you have John. I don't think there is any true bolt in system. They all need tweeking somewhere.
I have an abart system and it will need some mods to connect to the down pipe.
IMG_20170326_165019166.thumb.jpg.6dd7264ed590ab3206b339a1707a1c0c.jpg
IMG_20170326_164726902_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.d13c7300e6b60c0337adc92c70bb2299.jpg
IMG_20170326_165049676.thumb.jpg.44223d62de4789d6448f49a17631b6c5.jpg

Chas, very nice and I almost went that route. After talking to Sean at Zstory he really seemed to be someone you can trust and if you have issues he’s going to help resolve it. I’ll hang everything tomorrow and then take exact measurements from the dual down pipe to his V-band connector. He threw in two extra V-band connectors and clamps for me. I’ll buy a dual 2” to 2.5” merge pipe and have it bent right and weld the v-band to the 2.5” side and hopefully it will work. I didn’t want to spend the money initially for his header before I saw if I could make my header work and I think I can. I like challenges....I make me better at solving problems. This car is one challenge after another, I should be a genius by now [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Chas, very nice and I almost went that route. After talking to Sean at Zstory he really seemed to be someone you can trust and if you have issues he’s going to help resolve it. I’ll hang everything tomorrow and then take exact measurements from the dual down pipe to his V-band connector. He threw in two extra V-band connectors and clamps for me. I’ll buy a dual 2” to 2.5” merge pipe and have it bent right and weld the v-band to the 2.5” side and hopefully it will work. I didn’t want to spend the money initially for his header before I saw if I could make my header work and I think I can. I like challenges....I make me better at solving problems. This car is one challenge after another, I should be a genius by now emoji23.png.

If you can find a y pipe from 2” to 2.5”, it would be the perfect solution.

Otherwise your best bet will be to find a competent fabricator who can build up a y connection that slip fits onto the header, then has the outlet at 2.5”, using mandrel bent pipe, in stainless. Also, using a tig welder will produce better welds than using a mig, and a stick should not be used at all.

The mandrel bent pieces can be had from several exhaust specialty supply houses. There is one out in Utah, can’t recall the name at the moment.

Using non mandrel bent pipe will dramatically reduce the flow, so it is important to use mandrel bent pipe.

Plait, got the exhaust mocked up, so I could figure out the extension to need. Good news is my header came with ~ 30” Y pipe, and that length and beds are perfect to mate of to the Zstory exhaust. So I’m going to the muffler shop and see if I can have them fabricate an identical pipe that 2.5” instead of 2” secondary pipe. See pics below.

The “S” pipe is slightly touching the bolt on the control arm but otherwise it’s a good fit. Green circle on the last pic is my 2” extension pipe off the header.

f8df2c47ab4027e1a65bfe5506b11dea.jpg

ae680f1395d1531a35f21690628c690b.jpg

0268da0efdb0b259ec82037e3bd0baed.jpg

• Like 1

Jim, This is a good idea. The only problem is now I have a chokepoint between the collectors off the header and the exhaust line I purchased. I’d be going from 2 inch collectors, run 24” downstream with a 2” and pipe and then meet 2 1/2 inch pipe. I still need someone to weld the v-band on the pipe too.

Put them at the header, not downstream.   I did that with the stock manifold until he gets the 280 downpipe available.  My car can't tell the difference... LOL

Okay, I’m a little confused. If I put two of those on my header I still need a 2.5” Y pipe and a 24” pipe 2.5” in diameter to meet up with his resonator? It’s a good idea, but still need a welder and a guy to make the correct bends. Waiting on a quote now.

Put them at the header, not downstream.   I did that with the stock manifold until he gets the 280 downpipe available.  My car can't tell the difference... LOL

Jim,
Thanks I think I got a game plan now. I order the 2.5” to 2” stainless pipe adapter from Amazon that you sent. I called a shop and for $40 they’re going to weld the V-Band connector to the 2.5” side of that adapter. I can the use slip joints on the rest of the fitting and we should be rolling.

Of note Sean said it will be early January before the headers are available. I’m going to see how this works before spending the money on his new headers.

Anyone who understands the dark science of exhaust system might be able to comment about going from 2 to 2.5 inches. I guess it would be preferred if I was 2.5” diameter pipe all the back from the header collectors to the muffler instead of having this 28” piece at 2” pipe that I’m using that came with my header which eventually grows to 2.5” once it meets the ZStory stuff.

6c2ff660aa170653210502b259c2766b.jpg

abcb01c55780ef868497e3f3cc38f739.jpg
15d1c349ad289d76e15d7c73fd767079.jpg

Is the Y pipe at the top of your picture a piece that came with and is part of your non Zstory headers?   I don't see the v band flange, so it must be.

I assumed you received that piece from Zstory as part of the exhaust line shipment, but if not, looks like it only comes with the headers.   This is why I suggested 2 of the increasers to go one Y end at the headers... 

7a72de0b8e88e21849f1fe010a262934.jpg

Is the Y pipe at the top of your picture a piece that came with and is part of your non Zstory headers?   I don't see the v band flange, so it must be.
I assumed you received that piece from Zstory as part of the exhaust line shipment, but if not, looks like it only comes with the headers.   This is why I suggested 2 of the increasers to go one Y end at the headers... 

No that Y pipe came with my current headers. It doesn’t have a vband connect just a straight 2” dia pipe.
The vband is on his resonator pipe. So I need to fab that reducer with a vband to connect to his resonator

That Y pipe already slides over my header collectors, I don’t need any adaptors there just 2 clamps to lock them down. The adaptor is for the other end of the Y pipe. Since the resonator is 2.5” and that Y pipe is only 2”.