IGNORED

Putting in a replacement L-28

Av8ferg

8 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I have all those shields but didn’t install them because I have a ceramic coated header. Hoping that negates the need for the shields .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a long time but I remember people telling me the header would melt the PCV hose coming off the bottom of the intake to the block. I cut my shield to fit my 6 to 1 coated header. Maybe someone could chime in with better knowledge on that?

20210129_140407 (1).jpg

header on 280.jpg

• Like 2

StwveJ,
I found a pic I took before I tore everything apart and found that all three black wires were grounded to the chassis. Another pic I can see the yellow wire tucking down under the thermostat. I forgot I 1963d85f517c65a9daf36088598933a7.jpg
took those pics. Thanks again.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Boeing 757-200

521402ec81684700c5cc1a1396b3d960.jpg

Nice. 

The 757 has been out of production since October 2004, so that airplane is getting close to 20 years old.

I’ve been one the crew that builds the 767-300F forward body section since September 2020, and also have done some rework on the wings. We build a freighter, then a KC46 tanker, then a freighter, then a tanker. Most, but not all, freighters are FedEx, we have had a few UPS come through, and a couple of white tails (planes for an undisclosed customer).

As a structures mechanic I work overbar, meaning I don’t have a regular work package every day. Instead I do rework, follow unfinished work down line, and cover bar work when other mechanics are absent. 

Prior to working on the 767/KC46 program I worked on the 777 program, mostly wings, including 4 years in the spar shop building the rear wing spars. With the new 777-9 going into production the legacy plane has mostly been freighters, and some of those were for FedEx.

Been almost seven and a half years at The Big Shed. It is cool being part of the build process of these awesome machines.

Nice. 
The 757 has been out of production since October 2004, so that airplane is getting close to 20 years old.

I’ve been one the crew that builds the 767-300F forward body section since September 2020, and also have done some rework on the wings. We build a freighter, then a KC46 tanker, then a freighter, then a tanker. Most, but not all, freighters are FedEx, we have had a few UPS come through, and a couple of white tails (planes for an undisclosed customer).
As a structures mechanic I work overbar, meaning I don’t have a regular work package every day. Instead I do rework, follow unfinished work down line, and cover bar work when other mechanics are absent. 

Prior to working on the 767/KC46 program I worked on the 777 program, mostly wings, including 4 years in the spar shop building the rear wing spars. With the new 777-9 going into production the legacy plane has mostly been freighters, and some of those were for FedEx.
Been almost seven and a half years at The Big Shed. It is cool being part of the build process of these awesome machines.

These are great great aircraft. We are getting a new 767 almost monthly. I have been considering moving over the the 767. I already have the Type Rating and the pay is higher but I’d lose seniority which mean less control of my schedule, which mean less time with family. The aircraft are similar from flying standpoint. Most don’t like the 767 layout of the cockpit area with the 3 seats and the Lav in the cockpit but apparently it was initially built for UPS and we didn’t want to pay to change that.
That’s awesome you build these things, something to be proud. !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

These are great great aircraft. We are getting a new 767 almost monthly.

We are currently producing the 767/KC46 on a seven day production rate, meaning every seven M days (an M day is a scheduled manufacturing day, which doesn’t include weekends or holidays) one rolls out the door. Since I’ve been in the program we have built mostly FedEx freighters, alternating with the KC46 tanker, with (in the last year) three UPS freighters and two white tails. So roughly twice a month a FedEx 767 rolls out the door.

Interesting you comment about the lav, as the UPS planes have customer variables that require us to pay attention for the differences in the build. It requires we review the drawings, use different tooling, and locate, drill and install a number of different structural components. One unique thing about Boeing compared to Airbus is the custom build of every airplane for the customer. Airbus doesn’t custom build airplanes for their customers, and doesn’t allow customer representatives in the factory. In addition to the FAA representatives, every customer has reps who inspect every step of the build process from raw materials to the final preflight on the flightline.

Even though they look the same, the KC46 tanker is considerably different. It is about 20 feet shorter overall, the cargo doors are smaller, the structures are different and more robust to hold the fuel cells in place, there is a provision for refueling the plane itself on the crown aft of the cockpit, and there are two man doors behind the cockpit, one on each side, as opposed to the single left door on the freighter.

Edited by Racer X

Quick question for the you guys.  I was doing continuity checks on my harness today to make sure I have the right wires going to the correct sensors.   When I did that I discovered I didn’t have my Thermotime sensor installed in my thermostat housing.  That sensor has the same size hole and threads as the coolant temperature sensor that was installed.  There is only one port with that size opening in the thermostat housing and I had originally set it up thinking was going to go carbs.  I need to put the Thermotime sensor where the coolant sensor was  I have a P79 head with the cylinder head temp sensor.  I’m thinking I need to extend the wires that went to the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing and run the connector to the sensor on the head which is located near the oil dip stick.   I just want to make sure these sensors have the same temp curve that are sent to the ECU.  From what I’ve read these sensors provide temp to the ECU to determine the duration of the length of the injector pulse to get the correct richness.  Not sure why Nissan moved the sensor so before I snip wires I want to make sure it’s the right decision.   Happy Sunday 😁