IGNORED

What is your most valuable 'made-it-myself' tool?

Namerow

Yeah. the 72 carbs, even though they are mostly like the previous years, they do have their weird idiosyncrasies.  I find it neat to see some of the changes put into play on the 72 3-screw carbs that were clearly stepping stones to the flat tops they used the next year.

• Like 1

Really?  Are we out of contributions already?  I think that the old Atlantic Z-Car site could deliver at least a dozen ideas all on its own.  CO should be able match that. ZKars and Grannyknot, too.

• Like 1

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. I don't keep the components in my toolbox. To remove a pilot bushing, a slice of bread and a bolt slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the pilot bushing in the flywheel. A hammer and the bolt take the place of a grease gun and the bread acts like grease without the squeeze out.

• Like 2

The reason I haven’t chimed in with my “favorite” is there are just too many to choose from. They are all my children, I don’t dare declare any particular one my favorite without risking the wrath of the others.

I should lay them all out on the floor and take a group photo.

At least I’ll try to contribute more to the thread I started called “Cool Tool of the Day”. One a week on Sundays perhaps.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. I don't keep the components in my toolbox. To remove a pilot bushing, a slice of bread and a bolt slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the pilot bushing in the flywheel. A hammer and the bolt take the place of a grease gun and the bread acts like grease without the squeeze out.

Doesn’t the pilot bushing go in the crankshaft hub?

2 hours ago, zKars said:

The reason I haven’t chimed in with my “favorite” is there are just too many to choose from. They are all my children, I don’t dare declare any particular one my favorite without risking the wrath of the others.

I should lay them all out on the floor and take a group photo.

At least I’ll try to contribute more to the thread I started called “Cool Tool of the Day”. One a week on Sundays perhaps.

There is no such thing as the best tool.  If I need to pound a nail in, a micrometer does me no good, yet for precision measuring, the hammer is just as useless.  Whenever I work on anything house or vehicle related, I tend to need every tool I own.  If I don't own the perfect tool for a job, I either make one, or I improvise and use what I have in the toolbox already.  If I have the time or think I'll ever need to do the same job again, I'll usually make a tool or jig.

Edited by Jeff G 78
  • Like 2