IGNORED

Brake booster push rod adjustment

Wally

That's a good point.  I had a similar problem when the front calipers were on the wrong sides.  The pedal went halfway down before any brake action.   My problem was air in the system though, that could not get out.

Easy mistake to make.  Bleed valve on top.  

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks guys for all the clues.  A few follow up questions/findings: 

Yarb: I like your adjustment method.  To clarify:  I would put the lithium grease inside the hollowed-out section of the MC piston as far forward as possible. Adjust pushrod until it just touches the grease. Would I then turn the adjustment 1/4 turn.  Do I turn it in or out?

Terrapin Z: I did not follow the exact method for adjusting the rear brakes.  Did it the old way adjusted them up until they locked up, then backed them off until there was a slight drag on them.  Your suggestion makes a lot of sense.  Regarding lack of pressure. I will readjust.

Zed Head:  Just went out to the shop to check the location of the bleeder plugs on the front calipers.  They are at the bottom.  Your info and rechecking the FSM, they should be on top.  I'll correct that. Your description on pedal action is quite similar to the problem I am having.

FYI:  In addition to having the symptoms Zed Head described regarding pedal action, when the pedal it pushed as far as it will go, there is some braking action but neither the front or the rear brakes will lock up. I'll make the changes and let you know how it goes.    Thanks again.

Definitely swap the calipers! If you have the master cyl loose it wouldn’t hurt to check the depth. When I say apply grease I mean as little as possible. 1/4 turn longer. When you go to mount it you will know if it’s too tight. Long cue tip and a smidgen of grease at the base. I think you Will definitely find it’s the calipers being reversed.

• Like 2