IGNORED

Tuning With An Air/Fuel Gauge

chaseincats

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, 240260280 said:

Only TVS is connected to the pedal.... look there

Is the TVS another name for the TPS?

Also, regarding the "sticking afm" would it be the resistance wiper that would be sticking or the air door inside the afm?

Edited by chaseincats

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Bringing this back for a special "happy new year" edition of this thread with one new observation.

Much like the 240z's big orange carb filter's "winter/summer" switch, I've found that adjusting the AFM requires a 1 tooth adjustment depending on the season (in order to stay within those air/fuel numbers).  When it gets cold, richen it one tooth (clockwise) and when it warms up in the summer, lean it one tooth (counter-clockwise).

I'm assuming this is due to cold air being denser and thus leans out the car, but I'm no scientist it's just what I noticed on the gauge after all this time.

For me this means that the summer tuning is 3 teeth to the left of the stock tooth (that you should have marked) and winter decreases that by 1 tooth meaning that the winter setting is 2 teeth to the left of the stock configuration.

Happy tuning my friends.  Let 2024 be the year of 14.7

Edited by chaseincats
  • Like 3

There is an air temperature sensor in the AFM that is supposed to handle that.  You might ohm it out and see if it's working.

There is also the issue of winter mix gasoline.  They make the mix more volatile so that it will light off and burn cleaner in cold weather.  Modern cars with powerful computers and O2 sensors handle it well.  Older cars not so much. 

The potentiometer on the coolant temperature sensor circuit is a simpler way to get a similar effect.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

There is an air temperature sensor in the AFM that is supposed to handle that.  You might ohm it out and see if it's working.

There is also the issue of winter mix gasoline.  They make the mix more volatile so that it will light off and burn cleaner in cold weather.  Modern cars with powerful computers and O2 sensors handle it well.  Older cars not so much. 

The potentiometer on the coolant temperature sensor circuit is a simpler way to get a similar effect.

The air temp sensor is showing readings to spec on both the old and newer afm per the fsm which is good.  I never found that sensor did much if anything since starting this process which I always found odd.

Regarding adding a potentiometer on the coolant sensor, doesn't that only have ability to add resistance to the coolant sensor thus increasing richness?  I don't believe you can lean the car out with a potentiometer on the temp sensor but I could be wrong.

Edited by chaseincats

• 2 weeks later...

Spark plug question.

Plug image below.  NOTE: cylinder 3's plug's ceramic was cracked so I pulled the valve cover and noticed that cylinder's exhaust valve was loose by at least .004 and has now been fixed.  All other valves were sitting at factory spec.

I pulled the plugs (they've been in there for a few years) and they're white on the top.  I have been using NGK Iridium BPR6EIX-11 plugs.  Since the car is running leaner than stock 280zs (14.7), should I change the plugs' heat to BP5, keep them at BP6, or change to BP7?

image.jpeg

Edited by chaseincats