IGNORED

Engine Timing Cover

Wally

I see that now. thanks guys. New timing kit on the way. i think i can put that on no issues. However, i am not sure about timing.... does that need to be redone?

Edited by Wally

its easy just follow the FSM start with #1 TDC compression stroke. new chain will have two shine links to help with getting it setup up. You can see the bottom shine link on the av8 pic, lower link dot on cam sprocket.

Edited by Dave WM

Yes, you will have to adjust the timing once you get the new chain on. Did you get a sprocket with the kit (should have). Some kits have the timing notch on the back of the sprocket and some do not. Guys on this forum have recently figured out which company’s do and do not. It’s not a big deal but it helps if later you want to adjust timing as the engine chain stretches. There are 3 different positions to put the new sprocket on. Assuming your head has never been shaved, position 1 with a new chain is the starting point. I’s make sure the engine is a TDC before you remove anything and that way you have a point of reference.
Like Zed Head said . You set the shiny link next to the 1 on the sprocket. Be aware some chains don’t have a 2 shiny links so you have to count links. I believe it’s 21 links between but don’t quote me on that. Let’s cross that bridge when your kit arrives. I put an OSK on mine.
You see below the 2 different sprocket. First one has 3 small cut outs on the edge of the bezel .
Last pic is what your looking at for TDC.
e9716d5f911667edbae31231537c8f87.jpg&key=5245386f2a53432916dcafed65f577453f115486c13fb725dc96b6b6443f6c0d
f13b4d25402390f77622ab2bda95f8d8.jpg&key=4291b16615d0d06e5400e8def1911ed32b8509523b6a0786594ad8541937d7db
6f7e66f92abe27ab4bfcd19a4ae0e809.jpg&key=8bb23cb9e8f3317a592822bf857f84fd0d04a6bb5f9302c7fd58b0995f130226
54cbf732192c3a0afcc36a50bbbe6633.jpg&key=99f707b2b356ccf8ac71be8acfb551d57ac4f098aabc43681d466763af90a51c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good. I was thinking that some of the timing kits do not come with the guides, and I would certainly take the opportunity to replace the guides if you're doing everything else.

Man that tensioner is really hanging out there. Looks like you were on the hairy edge of that thing popping out of there completely while the engine was running. Hope the new timing set takes care of all that.

Sorry. One more thought about the timing chain and the tensioner sticking out...

So the 240 slack side guide (the curved side) has a slotted hole at the top and two holes at the bottom. You have your guide with the bottom bolt going through the inboard of the two holes. I know this because I can see part of the outboard hole poking out from under the bolt head.

But a pic here from @siteunseen, he has his lower bolt through the outboard hole. This effectively pushes the guide further in and tightens the chain:
240 stye3.jpg

While putting in a whole new timing set is rarely a bad idea... What are the chances that the majority of the slack in your chain is due to an improperly installed slack side guide?

I'm more of a 280 guy and the 280 guide is a little different. Just one hole that the bottom so no decision making on which hole to use.

Edited by Captain Obvious
Added some detail
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Guys can you confirm one thing please. The crankshaft oil thrower...should the key be flat allowing the throwing to easily slide off or should it be put in at a slight angle to the thrower stays on no matter its position?

On 4/1/2021 at 9:12 PM, Captain Obvious said:

thanks. I think i have mine all back on properly. The tensioner is on right but chain was so tight already not sure it was needed. When the motor is running and the chain moving wont it "scrape" up against the tensioner? i guess that is normal though...just would think it would tear pieces of the tensioner off

IMG_2523.jpg

I don't remember doing the key any paticular way just flat side goes up. And my timing chain was so tight I thought the same thing, too tight but that was about 4 years ago and everything is fine. Motor spins up really quick. Plus I put my brand new timing kit on a new rebuild at hole #3 the last one for chain stretch so that made it extra tight. That worried me for about a year but it never broke or caused any problems just advanced the mechanical timing 8 degrees I think? gave it more bottom end but with the 5 speed I put in there it has plenty of top end too.

Your tensioner does have that rubber/plastic washer between the plunger and the body right? I think I can see it.

From Zed's post above...

image.png

Edited by siteunseen

Gotya. Before rebuild the key was at an angle where the thrower would NOT come off without removing the key. On page 1 or 2 of this thread i saw someone image where key was completely flat. I did mine like that and the thrower

will slide off/on. 

Here is a good image of the tensioner right before i put it. There is a black wedge of rubber on the end if thats what you mean. This is all that came in the rebuild kit for the tensioner btw. 

IMG_2524.jpg