IGNORED

Engine Timing Cover

Wally

As you can see the bottom bolt where the inlet water goes has issues. i took it to a shop i have gone to for years and they could drill and tap it. They said to fix:

-will need head gasket set, timing set, timing cover gasket set, timing cover, head bolts + labor

They also said you had to take the friggin head off....what...

I stopped by a local mom and pop garage ive never used. a friendly guy came out and talked to me. Incidentally he said he had a 240z a long time ago. He told me the other shop was full 

of $^!#. He said take the valve cover off and there were like 2 bolts up front you take out. then a bolt out of the water pump pulley... he said its fairly simple.

So to summarize he said

buy new timing cover and head gasket. thats all. no need for the rest unless it needs new timing etc.

Can anyone confirm who is correct? thanks

IMG_2028.jpg

12 minutes ago, Wally said:

That's it but you could get one way cheaper that's not all shiny. Give this thread a day or so and someone will probably offer one up.

Read texasz's post on California datsun.

Edited by siteunseen

1st off you can buy a brand new TC from japan I think it was about 90$ pls shipping around 30$

Next you do not need to remove the valve cover and you do not need anything more than the TC cover gaskets (2 gaskets get them from Nissan).

you prob should replace the water pump while at it. for the amount of work to have it professionally repaired you could get a new cover.

I have a 4 part video on this, you can find it at Dave WM on you tube.

ok I was off on the shipping but the cover was 80$

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/13501a8600

so 130$ for a brand new one. I got one this way, the casting was not as smooth on the outside but still perfectly useable and the machined parts (the surfaces that matter) looked perfect. a Good machine shop should have no problem fixing what you have, but it may cost more than a new one (I really have no idea, but just in case you now know what a new cost so you can make that call on new or refurb).

Edited by Dave WM

The head gasket comment prob due to having never done this before. If you are careful you can preserve the existing head gasket, you just have to exercise some care when re installing it. the TC cover slides just under the gasket surface, if you ham fist it, you could bugger up the gasket. You want to pull the oil pan down a bit and kind of tilt the TC cover into place with the gap at the bottom of the pan providing clearance while sliding in. there are alignment dowels so once you get it started under the head gasket the dowels will come into play and get everything lined up.

here is the video, its more talk than action as I don't like to try and setup cameras and do work, but I do try to talk thru the hard parts, and what to look out for.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

no big deal. their explanation was what was really odd though. They said the increase was due to item weighing more than the 1.6kgs listed and expected. So i asked how much does the final item weigh. Answer: 1.6 kg...

for fun I started a new order got as far as submit order selected japan surface post (vs fed ex) got it down to 80+27. did not pull the trigger to actually submit. I reviewed my old order and it was 75+46 back in 2019

Edited by Dave WM