IGNORED

Engine Timing Cover

Wally

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/12/2021 at 7:54 AM, Wally said:

As you can see the bottom bolt where the inlet water goes has issues. i took it to a shop i have gone to for years and they could drill and tap it. They said to fix:

-will need head gasket set, timing set, timing cover gasket set, timing cover, head bolts + labor

They also said you had to take the friggin head off....what...

I stopped by a local mom and pop garage ive never used. a friendly guy came out and talked to me. Incidentally he said he had a 240z a long time ago. He told me the other shop was full 

of $^!#. He said take the valve cover off and there were like 2 bolts up front you take out. then a bolt out of the water pump pulley... he said its fairly simple.

So to summarize he said

buy new timing cover and head gasket. thats all. no need for the rest unless it needs new timing etc.

Can anyone confirm who is correct? thanks

IMG_2028.jpg

The timing cover can be removed and replaced with the head on. It is tricky, but doable. It helps to drop the oil pan, but still isn’t necessary.

• Like 1

Now after I've sat down and had a beer or 4, if I'm thinking what you're doing then yes. You can put the front cover with the seal tapped into place on and then the pulley or crank wheel you have will slide in, lube the rubber 1st, just fine. Then the big washer and nut and you're done.

• Like 1