IGNORED

Buying my first z! But need help with identifying some things in the engine.

bravemushi260z

Hey guys I am so excited to be buying my first z, I've always loved these cars and wanted to start a project car. This a 74 260z that has been sitting for about 5 years, I read Carl Beck's guide on how to get this car running, and my plan is to check the tank, change all fuel lines, change all fluids, and replace any hoses and belts, and clean up the carbs. To be completely honest with you I have never worked on a car this old or on carbs before. I am trying to identify if it has the flat tops or the SUs from the earlier zs. I dont think it's stock but if you guys could help me out with what is changed I would really appreciate it. I can't find any photos of just a stock engine to compare. It looks like the air cleaner has been replaced with a different setup but I am not sure which one.

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4828.JPG

The carburetors installed on the car are Weber 32/36 downdraft carburetors. The air filters on those carburetors are typical for that type. The SU carburetors are side draft. 

The fuel rail definitely isn't stock. The stock fuel rail has a return. On this car the fuel rail is dead-headed going to the carburetors, and the line back to the tank has a redneck plug on it. 

As for how long the car has been sitting, my 73 has been sitting in my garage for 11 years, and it has less dust on the engine than this car.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bravemushi260z said:

I am trying to identify if it has the flat tops or the SUs from the earlier zs.

1 minute ago, SteveJ said:

The carburetors installed on the car are Weber 32/36 downdraft carburetors.

As Steve replied, your 260 is yet another example of the factory flat top carbs being ditched. In your case, as was often the case back in the day, the carbs were replaced with Weber downdraft carbs. Extremely common.

There is another thread currently discussing the conversion to round tops that will give you more insight into your options and required changes regards the round tops:

You can keep the Webers and rebuild and tune them, go the round top route or ----my personal favorite----find a set of flat tops and restore them. I would caution that going with the flat tops is NOT an easy path.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteveJ said:

The carburetors installed on the car are Weber 32/36 downdraft carburetors. The air filters on those carburetors are typical for that type. The SU carburetors are side draft. 

The fuel rail definitely isn't stock. The stock fuel rail has a return. On this car the fuel rail is dead-headed going to the carburetors, and the line back to the tank has a redneck plug on it. 

As for how long the car has been sitting, my 73 has been sitting in my garage for 11 years, and it has less dust on the engine than this car.

Thanks so much for your knowledge Steve, I feel like I'm in over my head here but I'm planning on giving it my all. I am trying to read up about the Webers on the forum, I guess they are an upgrade from the flat tops at least. I did not even realize that about the fuel rails, that is definitely something I have to look into. Regarding the fuel rails would a stock one be compatible? Or do I have to rig something up? 

I know the dust on it is crazy, its been sitting outside no tarp 😞

8 minutes ago, Zup said:

As Steve replied, your 260 is yet another example of the factory flat top carbs being ditched. In your case, as was often the case back in the day, the carbs were replaced with Weber downdraft carbs. Extremely common.

There is another thread currently discussing the conversion to round tops that will give you more insight into your options and required changes regards the round tops:

You can keep the Webers and rebuild and tune them, go the round top route or ----my personal favorite----find a set of flat tops and restore them. I would caution that going with the flat tops is NOT an easy path.

I would love to bring this car back to its former glory and stock configuration, but I plan on working on this car for a while and on a budget. So as much as I can save I would love to just keep things as they are. I am honestly really happy that the carbs have already been changed though because I kept reading about how much the flat tops were difficult and was feeling intimidated by them. 

5 minutes ago, bravemushi260z said:

I kept reading about how much the flat tops were difficult and was feeling intimidated by them. 

Entirely understandable----I was in the same boat as you. My 73 came to me with the Weber carbs. They were the first thing I removed. I converted to round tops and was extremely happy with them. 

As time passed I wanted to return to completely stock and then had to learn and understand the flat tops. It took two years and I received much help from other members on this forum. In retrospect, I like them and I'm glad I did it.

@bravemushi260z there has been a gang of people on here that have spent a good amount of time on the flat-tops, it appears that the conclusion that they came up with is that the flat tops work well, even compared to the round-tops that everyone wants. I've not messed with them at all but from some light reading I did they appear to be a bit more complex than the round-tops. Maybe this added complexity is why people don't like the flat-tops, I'm sure you can find support for them on this forum.

Not sure about these Webers you have on them, but you might be able to score some flat-tops for cheap with everyone on the round-top hype 😛

Clean that engine bay with some soap and water, its gonna be a pain in the arse being all dusty everytime you want to do something. HA

If it "ran when parked" best to just get it running again first, with what's on there.  You'll know that what you have should work.  If you swap parts before you start you'll be starting from unknown.

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-Master-Rebuild-Dune-Buggy/dp/B00FB7ZFM0

Study up on points, and timing, and mechanical fuel pumps.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

😛 Clean that engine bay with some soap and water, its gonna be a pain in the arse being all dusty everytime you want to do something. HA

For sure!  I would start with a leaf blower first just to avoid making mud slides. You're going to wind up touching every part of that engine and it will be much easier to inspect when it's clean(ish).

• Like 1