IGNORED

Floor Jack Question

texasz

My Craftsman 2t floor jack started leaking and not raising a load a while back so I bought a rebuild kit and replaced seals and all earlier this year.  It's leaking again and not raising a load properly, time to dump it and get a new one I can rely on.  So I have found a couple and would like to hear your opinions.  Both are weigh in at about 50-51 lbs. and have a lift range of 3.5 to 19.25"

• JEGS Professional Low-Profile 2-Ton Aluminum Floor Jack
  • Arcan 2-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack

I'm surprisingly happy with a cheapo, El Cheapo from the North, aluminum quick pump from harbor freight. It was like $50 and I've used it hundreds of times without failure. I always put a jack stand under just be safe and it's never lost height to rest on the jack stand. Let me see if I can find it...

You can use a 20% off coupon too. Pull it up on your phone.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton-Aluminum-Rapid-Pump-Racing-Floor-Jack-64545.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjY0NjQwMTEiLCJza3UiOiI2NDU0NSIsImlzIjoiNTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiMTMxNzEifQ%3D%3D &cid=paid_google|||64545&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpd_Yr5D07QIVConICh39gA_mEAQYASABEgL-VPD_BwE

17 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Harbor freight Daytona 3 ton $200 on sale is a great jack.

I have the Daytona 3 ton, long reach. It's the one with the foot pedal on the back.  It's a really good floor jack, and the foot pump makes it easy to get the saddle positioned by using your hand on the foot pedal to get the lift started.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1

Another Harbor freight guy here with a Pittsburg 3 ton low profile rapid pump. Lifts to almost 20" but weighs heavy, something like 80lbs or so.  Has not failed on anything in the 6 years I've had it.  I think I paid something like $79 or $99 on a Christmas special.

• Like 1

1.5 ton was a little "iffy" making my decision but hasn't hesitated once. I used it today sharpening my mower blades, 3 pumps and the mowing deck is up there high. Maybe one day soon I'll get a beefier girl that test the limits but so far so smoothe betwenst them laags. LOL

I'm on vacation, not probation.

Edited by siteunseen

Yet another Harbor Freight jack owner here. I used to have the aluminum "racing" jack until it and a bag of spare change (and nothing else) were stolen a few years ago when my house was broken into. Replaced with the 3-ton Pittsburgh jack. It's studier, but also weighs a heck of a lot more. Both served me well. With sales and coupons, tough to beat for the price.

• Like 1

I bought a Snap On 2 ton floor jack about 35 years ago. It was actually made by Walker for Snap On, looking exactly the same as Walker jacks of the same era, only painted red with Snap On decals. It has served me well, still working perfectly.

I had to add another jack when I got the Ram 3500 in 2001. It weighs around 8,000 lbs or so. The options were another floor jack like the 2 ton Snap On only rated to lift more, which are large and cumbersome, or an air over hydraulic heavy duty jack.

I chose the latter. Rated at 22 tons it is a bit of overkill, but the design makes it easier to use in tight spaces. And it proved useful when I picked up a motor grader 15 years ago, which weighs in at 25,000 lbs.

4E02FFE1-71E2-44FE-AFED-4F9F185CDAD8.jpeg

A10147A3-0DAA-4D73-AE74-C9ECD6B39272.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 3:27 PM, texasz said:

My Craftsman 2t floor jack started leaking and not raising a load a while back so I bought a rebuild kit and replaced seals and all earlier this year.  It's leaking again and not raising a load properly, time to dump it and get a new one I can rely on.  So I have found a couple and would like to hear your opinions.  Both are weigh in at about 50-51 lbs. and have a lift range of 3.5 to 19.25"

• JEGS Professional Low-Profile 2-Ton Aluminum Floor Jack
  • Arcan 2-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack

I just rebuild a 30 year old jack a few months ago.  Did you replace every seal?  I can't imagine a full rebuild wouldn't make it last another 20 years.

If you do give up on it, I too vote for the Harbor Freight aluminum jack.  We use them at work and we abuse the crap out of them.  They work better and last longer than much more expensive jacks we've tried.  I think we use the 2.5 ton model.  Don't get the super cheapo one.

I've got to say I'm shocked at all the support for Harbor Freight jacks on here!  I've always been VERY cautions what I buy there, yes cheap...and that's part of the problem.  I'll buy one time use items, of things that are pretty much the same everywhere (i.e. tarps, bungie cords, etc).  A jack is a serious thing though, I'm trusting my autos and body parts to a jack and was looking for quality and reliability.  From what everyone has said on here is seems that the jacks they sell have both.  @Jeff G 78 and others, do you have a specific make/model you suggest (aluminum please)?

1 hour ago, texasz said:

I've got to say I'm shocked at all the support for Harbor Freight jacks on here!  I've always been VERY cautions what I buy there, yes cheap...and that's part of the problem.  I'll buy one time use items, of things that are pretty much the same everywhere (i.e. tarps, bungie cords, etc).  A jack is a serious thing though, I'm trusting my autos and body parts to a jack and was looking for quality and reliability.  From what everyone has said on here is seems that the jacks they sell have both.  @Jeff G 78 and others, do you have a specific make/model you suggest (aluminum please)?

I have three HF floor jacks. Two are full-sized aluminum, and one is a small steel model. They all have performed well for many, many years. I have jackstands that are over 20 years old (pre-recall) and look & work totally fine. Not all of their tools are one-use, but I wouldn't consider many heavy duty.

HF actually has come out with higher line tools, too. I bought a couple of Daytona brand jacking dollies for a friend, and he bought two more. They work great for moving cars around in his garage. HF offers some tool chests that are similar to the quality that you find at the big box home improvement stores. 

• Like 1