IGNORED

Datsun 240Z Registry of America - Phillip A. Ray

Zed Head

8 minutes ago, texasz said:

They are just as advertised, a registry to help preserve data on Z cars knows to currently exist or data of ones known to have gone to Z heaven. 

I wondered about the cars I find in Junkyards, I always try and save the vin tags but I never have seen any JY cars listed as unknown owners on the registries. I looked over Phil's just a little and only saw owners stating their car was totaled and sold at auction etc. but not cars found in a JY where you don't know the owner or history. I would think this info would benefit the registries with data of known scrapped cars. 

8 minutes ago, texasz said:

@Racer X, don't join Facebook just for this...no reason for that, Carl's registry has been around far longer (and both seem to serve the same purpose).

I expect these two would cross data to fill in gaps one either ones pages. 

I use it to keep up with my Z club and other local events. That's the only place they post nowadays. I was also trying to buy /sell some parts. You sure have to wade though some deep Zuckindung on there everyday. You think the ads on here are bad.....non stop. 95% of posts are either bashing someone or making fun of them. Sad really. 

5 minutes ago, Terrapin Z said:

.....non stop. 95% of posts are either bashing someone or making fun of them. Sad really. 

This is why I have ALWAYS LOVED this site, best, most helpful people and good usable help!!  😄  Of all the Z sites I've been on over the years this is still my fav!

• Like 4

As far as I know, Phillip uses Facebook for simplicity and there's no reason not to make the registry list available to everyone. I've attached the latest version from Oct 23rd. If anyone's interested in adding their cars to the registry, but doesn't want to join FB, let me know and I'll post the form here. I'm pretty sure Phillip would be happy to have any and all cars in his list. Personally, I like reading the short blurbs people include when they add their cars to the FB group. As everyone here knows, there are certainly lots of interesting background stories!

I might try to find a bit of time to compare this list with the ZHome list and maybe create a delta. I don't know what the data-verification requirements are for either site, but maybe it makes sense for them to share the data and improve both lists. I don't think either one claims to be "canonical"? I also don't want to "step in anything".

240Z Master Registry.pdf

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, davewormald said:

As far as I know, Phillip uses Facebook for simplicity and there's no reason not to make the registry list available to everyone. I've attached the latest version from Oct 23rd.

240Z Master Registry.pdf 143.2 kB · 2 downloads

I had first added this PDF to my post ^ but then read through Phillips site and found this, so I edited it out of my posy as I did not ask for permission to use it. 

Not policing here, you can make whatever post you want. Perhaps you did ask, perhaps he does not mind. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 4.32.48 PM.png

I wonder what "use" means in legal terms.  I'm not suggesting that people share it if the originator does not want it shared.  But those words kind of look like they were just put there to suggest ownership, with no professional legal mind behind them.  What would the copyright cover?  It's just a list of numbers and names.

I think he could claim ownership and limited usage of the spreadsheet.  But then why would it be downloadable?  

Just talking...

https://www.copyright.gov/

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks for that @Terrapin Z. I should have checked first. I'll check now with Phillip (I don't know him from Adam) to see whether he has any concerns with me posting the list here. He regularly suggests that people invite other Z owners to register their cars, so hopefully it's a two-way street.

I'm not sure what the intent was either, for a copyright. I did not try and look it up. If you do ask please share the reply. 

Zhome's list is on the internet open to public view, and it has names on there too. 

Phillip put that text in there for some reason, perhaps just to protect his intellectual property. The way it is put together? The actual copyright text would say, but I don't want to spend the time to find it.