IGNORED

Weird Residue Inside coolant Passages

User0945

I bought this engine with the purpose of rebuilding it, i have stripped everything down to the block, inside of the coolant passages i found a weird thing that i cant identify. I wanted to take the block to a hot tank to clean all the parts before i started putting everything back in. I found this disgusting thing just filling the coolant passages and after asking someone said it could be Stop leak and that the block was done. Can someone identify what is that? Will it go away with just a deep clean or any substance to dilute it?

20201204_234302.jpg

20201204_234002.jpg

20201204_234136.jpg

4 hours ago, User0945 said:

someone said it could be Stop leak and that the block was done.

Don't think so.. just take it "to the cleaners" and you could test it for cracks but thats your desision..  these blocks are resiliant they can take a punch.. don't worry to much!  Let us know the result after cleaning.. bet it's a nice block.

My block had a similar looking funk in it also albeit not nearly as bad. I think it’s a slurry of rust and minerals. Someone may have used regular tap water for the cooling system. Mix minerals with rust and I bet it looks something like that. How hard is it? Hot tanking is cheap, so I agree go hot tank it and see what happens. I’ll see if I can find pics of mine and post them for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Don't think so.. just take it "to the cleaners" and you could test it for cracks but thats your desision..  these blocks are resiliant they can take a punch.. don't worry to much!  Let us know the result after cleaning.. bet it's a nice block.

Yes the block is super clean inside, nothing was seized and had compression.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:44 AM, heyitsrama said:

If you look for my ‘flying z’ thread I had a similar issue, I still have some in mine. I let the perstone cleaners sit in the block for a while took a bunch of crap out.

^^^ TWO WEEKS?! That shits still not done 😂😂😂😂

It was really helpful, on the use of CLR, reading the product manufacturers advice it says not to let it sit for longer than 2 min. Have you ever tried it? If so how do you apply it to the block? All the passages between my cylinders are clogged. On the mean time I'm using a vinegar solution to clean as much as possible.

27 minutes ago, User0945 said:

It was really helpful, on the use of CLR, reading the product manufacturers advice it says not to let it sit for longer than 2 min. Have you ever tried it? If so how do you apply it to the block? All the passages between my cylinders are clogged. On the mean time I'm using a vinegar solution to clean as much as possible.

I think they don’t want you keeping CLR in the system that long because it eats aluminum, double check the data sheet. The perstone one wants you to run the motor with it in there. I drove my car to the track, raced it, drove it back then flushed it out.

14 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

I think they don’t want you keeping CLR in the system that long because it eats aluminum, double check the data sheet. The perstone one wants you to run the motor with it in there. I drove my car to the track, raced it, drove it back then flushed it out.

As far as I know the entire block is iron. I guess just putting the liquid into the system for some time. There is no flow between left and right at the moment. I will look for some shop that can clean it, I just want to take all I can before that

3 hours ago, User0945 said:

As far as I know the entire block is iron. 

But the cylinder head and front cover are aluminum.

*edit*
I see now the engine is disassembled, so never mind.

Guess I should have read the whole thread before posting, eh?

Edited by Racer X