IGNORED

Depressing Early 260z bumper struts

heyitsrama

Amar, I have the same car as you and I also tried drilling the shocks.  It just didn't work and seemed like too much trouble, so I dropped the tank and removed them.  I supported the rear bumper using the factory tie-down points and some small brackets I fabricated to support the bumper ends.  The big holes in the body left by the shocks annoyed me, so I welded them up.  Let me know if you would like more info.

9 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

The deepest spot I got my drill bit is 3” i, I’ll drop the mount and try it tomorrow

IIRC, getting the rear bumper brackets out of the car is not the easiest thing in the world. Might have to drop the tank?

Maybe try compressing and holding for a couple minutes to test my other theory first? Back the car up against something and leave it like that for a half hour?  LOL

I installed 240Z bumpers on my early 260Z several years ago. I didn't want to use the pistons for mounts so I removed the driver side completely. I too, at the time, didn't really want to drop my fuel tank to get the passenger side piston completely removed. My answer was my Sawzall (reciprocating saw)... I cut the end of the piston off flush with the end of that outer casing. I cut from the bottom upwards so when I got to the pressurized section it spewed oil and gas out the bottom. 

@Captain Obvious I should have checked this thread before I started working, but I pulled the driver side strut out, had to drop the exhaust from the header back (really should get a sectional exhaust this sucks).

when I removed the nut from nut there was a significant amount of air that came out. I can now depress the strut I did not have to do anything else. 

For the next person reading this thread, put painters tape on the edges of the hole so you don’t ruin the paint on the back.

@cgsheen1
The problem is you really have to move and twist the strut mount to get it out, if I was going to do it again I would saw off the tabs/face/Falange on the strut and then hit 3 bolts under the car 3 on top (inside the trunk) and slide it out. You might be able to just lower the tank this way....

I guess I’ll be doing it again if I get those 240z bumpers..... alright back to work get this exhaust on and get the 260z bumper on to see how it fits. 

@Freez74 you have pictures of the mounts you made? I suppose it would be similar to the one Steve mentioned.

48 minutes ago, heyitsrama said:

The problem is you really have to move and twist the strut mount to get it out, if I was going to do it again I would saw off the tabs/face/Falange on the strut and then hit 3 bolts under the car 3 on top (inside the trunk) and slide it out. You might be able to just lower the tank this way....

I guess I’ll be doing it again if I get those 240z bumpers..... alright back to work get this exhaust on and get the 260z bumper on to see how it fits. 

Ya, should have mentioned that I've done a few subsequently on other Z's in the shop. It is entirely possible to remove that strut without completely removing the tank AND without cutting anything. It's much easier when you have a lift. I've lowered the tank - disconnecting as few of the hoses as possible (normally right side only - but that's most of them, right?) - supported the tank variously (rope, straps, whatever) and wormed the strut out in one piece. It's kind of a PITA but completely do-able. On the floor it's a little tougher.

@cgsheen1  that sounds like quiet the challenge, my buddy offered this lift I’ll have to take him up on it the next time I do this, working on the slanted driveway is fun till the sockets roll away.. but then again I’ve done all the work on the driveway >.>

I just mocked up the 260z bumper, a much larger gap in between the body and the sides of the bumper along the quarter than the 240z bumpers..... maybe I can adjust it.
Seems like a lot of this is wasted effort. 😪 should have just got the 240z bumpers 😐

What was strange is that it looks like it is possible to do it. I think I was trying to mount it too low, on the ends of the struts.. perhaps you HAVE to use the body mounts as well. Alright back outside we go.
https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/69280-260z-flush-bumper-conversion/

image.jpeg

Does this seem too high up? @cgsheen1 do you have a picture of yours? 

I can't tell from that photo. I used 240Z bumper mounts and the ones I have don't really fit right but mount the bumper fairly well. I should have fabbed a pair of custom brackets, but you know the old saying about the cobbler and his own shoes... I don't make the time to work on my personal Z like I should.  I'll post some phone pics.