IGNORED

Unknown Relay

jfa.series1

I believe it has to do with turning on the second set of points under certain conditions, for cars that have two sets of points, like auto's. BE-5 in the 72 FSM shows the relay doing this job, but not its location. 

image.png

Edited by zKars

2 hours ago, zKars said:

I believe it has to do with turning on the second set of points under certain conditions, for cars that have two sets of points, like auto's. BE-5 in the 72 FSM shows the relay doing this job, but not its location. 

image.png

Actually the location is shown in Figure BE-1. I don't think it's the thermotine relay. The FSM says that is located on the driver side fender well. 

image.png

3 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Asking for a friend. The car is a '72 with automatic transmission. :Looking for an i.d. on the relay on the firewall. Thanks.

Jim, ask your friend to clean the wires and identify the colors of the wires/stripes. The FSM shows that there is something branching off the wiring going to the wiper motor, but it fails to say what that branch is going to.

image.png

Also, see if he can take a closer photo of the relay. I can't quite make out the part number.

And after searching the interwebs and digging through the wiring diagrams, I found the answer...on this website: https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/36059-372-240z-automatic-transmission-what-part-hooks-to-this-connector/ 

The ones I have seen mounted there are more shaped like the horn relay long and skinny, not square like this one. 

It also had a short pig tail on it rather than the plug right on type like this one. 

I too was under the impression it was for the auto metic transmission models, possibly to do with the duel points. 

That relay looks like the one from under the dash on my ZX (pic) May have been changed out at some point?spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

Edited by Terrapin Z