IGNORED

Z's on BAT and other places collection

Zed Head

On 2/12/2024 at 9:47 PM, Zed Head said:

Weird, I looked on Facebook Arizona and did not find it.  Facebook sucks, of course.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/phoenix/search/?query=240z

Went to above link and there's a 71 Series 1 advertised as a "1971 Nissan 240 SX" for $16,900.  Be a good project for someone.  Surprised it's still available.

And yeah, Facebook does suck!  Deleted my FB account years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1568263933939885/

16 hours ago, KenFirch said:

Went to above link and there's a 71 Series 1 advertised as a "1971 Nissan 240 SX" for $16,900.  Be a good project for someone.  Surprised it's still available.

And yeah, Facebook does suck!  Deleted my FB account years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1568263933939885/

Guys there is no such thing as a " series 1,2 etc " ....

Having graduated from several Datsun service schools in the 70s when I was a dealer mechanic I can say with confidence that we students were instructed to refer to all Datsuns of that era by the production dates. This  "series 1" etc. is the product of the internet age and not the Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.

IMG_3662.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, zspert said:

Having graduated from several Datsun service schools in the 70s when I was a dealer mechanic I can say with confidence that we students were instructed to refer to all Datsuns of that era by the production dates. This  "series 1" etc. is the product of the internet age and not the Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.

I beg to differ. Cause and Effect at play in this case.

The Cause:  Nissan sent two different models of the Datsun 240Z to North America and sold them both as 1971 Model Year vehicles in calendar year's 1970 and 1971. This was NOT normal practice in North America. 

The Effect:  Series I / Series II is the direct effect of the consumer confusion  caused by Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.
“Which 1971 240Z Do You Have?” That was one of the first questions prospective buyers had to ask of the seller back in the mid 1970's, when they saw a "1971 Datsun 240Z" advertised for sale in classified Ad's.  We still see people asking “is my 240Z a 70 or a 71?" today 50+ years later.

If anything, the need for a term that would clearly identify which 1971 Datsun 240Z was being offered For Sale - was lessoned during the internet age. Because then seller could easily provide clear pictures with the Ad. and potential buyer would know which 1971 was being offered.
Edited by Carl Beck
  • Agree 1

By now, we all know Nissan never had a series I and II 240 Z in America. However, it is a description that works (in America) for determining if it is an early or late model 240. Just to stir the fire a bit more the description also works for 260s and 280s due to the mid-year changes, but only in America as far as I know.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

With what?

'Series' - according to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. Japan - is 'S30'.

Anything else is just America talking to itself.

According to Nissan - they identified every 240Z sent to North America with both a vehicle identification code and  a chassis serial number. Further Nissan started a new series of chassis serial numbers for each new model and  documented that in their Factory Service Bulletins. 

The first series of chassis serial numbers started at HLS30 00006 and HS30 00003

The second series of chassis serial numbers started at HLS30 21001 and HS30 00501.

70IntroCover.jpg

70IntroForward.jpg

Edited by Carl Beck
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zpenman said:

Just for future reference, what is considered to be the cutoff date for the "Series I" vehicles?

The last Series I 1971 240Z's were produced in Jan. 1971.

The Series II 1971 Late Model 240Z's started production in Feb. 1971. VIN's starting at HLS30 21001.

Nissan published New Model Introduction service bulletins that identified the 17 specific improvements in Customer Safety, Connivence and Performance items all offered on the second 1971 model offered for 1971. 

• Like 1