IGNORED

Possibly found exhaust leak?

chaseincats

Hi guys,

Is it possible for worn/torn vapor tank floor grommets to be the culprit for exhaust fumes in the cabin?  If the holes were on the exhaust pipe side, I'd say I've finally found my leak but these hoses/grommets are on the passenger side of the car.

(Note: I have changed the inner/outer hatch gasket, glass seal, taillight gaskets, sealed the hatch's vinyl panel, and sealed the hatch grommets)

I can also see light through the accordion-style grommet that seals the fuel filler hose to the car but obviously can't glue that shut like the other I found - is that accordion bit replaceable?

unnamed.jpg

Ok guys so I found them and here's the list:

• definitive:
    • vapor tank vacuum line grommet had a huge hole
    • vapor tank hose floor grommet was cracked
    • a bunch of cracks on the fuel filler hose body mount mating area
    • cracked body seam sealer near rear wheel well
  • possible:
    • antenna to body rubber - exhaust get in here?
    • antenna drain plug missing - are these available anywhere?
      • I've taped this shut a few times but it didn't really help

Air flowing over a surface will pull through a hole, out of the car.  Air sitting near a stagnant surface, like the back of a moving car, will be pulled through holes in to the car to replace the air that got pulled out.

The main leak in to the cabin seems to be the vinyl covered panel on the inside of the hatch lid.  Exhaust fumes sit in the dead spot right behind the car and get pulled in to the hatch innards via the latch hole, then get pulled in to the cabin around the edges of the panel.  The latch hole can't be sealed but you can seal the edges of the inside vinyl panel using stick-on weatherstripping.

You have to get a good tight seal completely around the edge.  Any gap will allow the fumes to get in to the car after they enter the inside of the hatch lid.

You can also find the flexible tube type that might be more durable, but here's some examples of the foam type.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Weather-Stripping-Foam-Tapes/N-5yc1vZc3e3

Edited by Zed Head

18 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Air flowing over a surface will pull through a hole, out of the car.  Air sitting near a stagnant surface, like the back of a moving car, will be pulled through holes in to the car to replace the air that got pulled out.

The main leak in to the cabin seems to be the vinyl covered panel on the inside of the hatch lid.  Exhaust fumes sit in the dead spot right behind the car and get pulled in to the hatch innards via the latch hole, then get pulled in to the cabin around the edges of the panel.  The latch hole can't be sealed but you can seal the edges of the inside vinyl panel using stick-on weatherstripping.

You have to get a good tight seal completely around the edge.  Any gap will allow the fumes to get in to the car after they enter the inside of the hatch lid.

You can also find the flexible tube type that might be more durable, but here's some examples of the foam type.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Weather-Stripping-Foam-Tapes/N-5yc1vZc3e3

I have that here coincidentally.  Can foam actually create an air-tight seal?

16 hours ago, chaseincats said:

My hatch plugs are fine, its the antenna drain plug (under the car) and possibly the antenna itself

Is the drain plug grommet still available? I can't seem to find it.

https://www.240zrubberparts.com/

I think you will find that antenna drain grommet here, as well as many other reproduced,

and hard to find, rubber parts for our Z cars.