IGNORED

Stroking an l24?

z shredder

Hello,

since I am currently restoring my 1973 240z and the l24 engine will get pulled out I am considering doing some performance mods. I have found that installing a crank with a higher stroke is a common way to get some extra power but i am not sure if it would be smarter to use a regular l28 crank (like the l26 did i believe) or the diesel ld28 crank and if this would even fit/work? Thanks for the help in advance.

Greetings from Germany.

Thanks but I still don't know if this would work with my l24 block and cylinder head because everyone else is using the l28 block and I think that clearance might be an issue on my l24 block in terms of fitting the l28 or ld28 cranks. 

Both work. You can use a l28 crank and stroke it further by asynchrone cutting the main bearing eyes(sorry about the English description) I hope you understand what I mean. (This is what I did.)

Or you can use an ld28 crank in australia Les Collins is doing that. He gets above 3 liters aut of a l24 with it.

Edited by munters
Added info
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, munters said:

Both work. You can use a l28 crank and stroke it further by asynchrone cutting the main bearing eyes(sorry about the English description) I hope you understand what I mean. (This is what I did.)

Or you can use an ld28 crank in australia Les Collins is doing that. He gets above 3 liters aut of a l24 with it.

Thanks for the help!

That sounds just wonderful but do you also know if I would need different pistons because the compression gain with the ld28 crank might be to high?

I am also concerned that the pistons might hit the cylinder head at top dead center. :Bang:

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to stroke your engine, you have to calculate everything. If you just putt an ld28 crank I guess so.

Use a engine calculator to see the deck hight. There are several.

http://www.ozdat.com.au/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

For example.

I did stroke a l28 with longer pushrods and shorter and +1mm pistons to have a good geometrie.