IGNORED

Install Engine With Trans, or Engine Then Trans?

KenFirch

Install Engine With Trans, or Engine Then Trans?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Install engine and trans as unit? Or install engine, then trans?

• Install engine and trans as unit, just like FSM says.
    • Install engine, then trans, a little extra work.

3 hours ago, Racer X said:

OK, a quick and dirty cell phone pic.

The long one with 2 holes bolts on the right front side of the cylinder head just behind the fuel pump. The small one with one hole goes on the last exhaust manifold stud on the left rear of the head. My engine sling has tabs on the ends of the chains, and I use a 5/16” bolt, 2 fender washers, and a wing nut on each one to attach to the lifting fittings.328BC2FB-1FB0-44A2-B904-A60C062E8832.jpeg

Do you leave yours on?

I took mine off after I dropped the motor in but I've seen them on quite a few motors from the pictures people post.

I have a box for "temporary parts" that those and the tie down hooks a lot of people have on their rear bumper brackets are in. It's on the top shelf, covered with dust. 

11 hours ago, 87mj said:

I read a previous post where using the two factory lift points was a bad idea.  Someone said they are not strong enough and would break.  From the pics, it looks like everyone is using those.  Has anyone had any problems?

I've done that install and removal many times with no problem, just be sure to tighten the nut on the rear manifold stud so the chain or bracket is snug up against the cylinder head.  That spreads the load out into the head and keeps the threads from being damaged.

Okay, had my grandson Jake over to help put the engine and trans back into the car.   I made some longer sling brackets so the lift chain would clear the valve cover and curve inside the smog air galley tube.

Went well, took about 90 minutes.  Thought I measured right, but no.  That extra ~1" distance the 73 bumper sticks out was an issue.  The hydraulic jack on lift was over the top of the bumper, which should have come off.  Had to push engine back a bit to land on motor mount pad.  New early style bumpers in the rafters ready to install, need to get some bumper brackets.  Right side motor mount bolts were the biggest challenge, and of course the drive shaft bolts are always fun.  

Time lapse video below.  Hopefully startup in a couple weeks.

IMG_6237.jpg

• Like 1