IGNORED

240z running rough

rosaaen89

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

This is just me, but if there are no pinholes I would run it as it is.  Make sure you have a good cap to keep the moisture out and maybe add a prefilter on the tank outlet.

Most people with Z's that don't have fueling problems probably don't realize how rusty the inside of their tank is.  No offense to those that don't know.  Go look and post a picture.

One of the keys to using Red-Kote is to make sure it's dried/cured before adding fuel.  Also notice that they do not say that all rust has to be gone.  Just most of it.

http://damonq.com/red-kote.html

http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

image.png

i think i’m just gonna run one last thing of acetone and let it dry good then do red kote and let sit for a week until i get done working on the mustache bar and u joint

I like to do easy experiments before big jobs, if I can.  You might take that rod you used, tie a rag or something to the end of it, put a blob of Red-Kote on it and plant it on the metal that you can see.  If it peels right off after it dries you might have a problem.  If it sticks hard you'll know you're good.  Or just drop a blob of Red-Kote down there and see if you can peel it off with that metal rod after it dries.  

Just an idea.  I like the sealer concept for pinholes, not so sure on a pinhole-free but rusty surface.  Just me though.  Seems like you can take a tank that works and create one that doesn't, if things go wrong.  With pinholes you have a tank that doesn't work and you just end up with the same thing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I like to do easy experiments before big jobs, if I can.  You might take that rod you used, tie a rag or something to the end of it, put a blob of Red-Kote on it and plant it on the metal that you can see.  If it peels right off after it dries you might have a problem.  If it sticks hard you'll know you're good.  Or just drop a blob of Red-Kote down there and see if you can peel it off with that metal rod after it dries.  

Just an idea.  I like the sealer concept for pinholes, not so sure on a pinhole-free but rusty surface.  Just me though.  Seems like you can take a tank that works and create one that doesn't, if things go wrong.  With pinholes you have a tank that doesn't work and you just end up with the same thing.

i think u might be right, and i’m pretty certain there’s no pin holes. i’m hesitant to do redcoat then make it worse . i can’t get that remaining previous sealant i believe is what it is to come off any better. i don’t know if the red kote will stick to the old stuff real good or not

If that stuff is old sealant then you're right to be careful.  Some sealers have a curing reaction that happens after the solvent is gone.  That will make it more difficult for new sealant to stick to it.

But, Red-Kote is apparently completely soluble.  So it can be stripped out if there's a problem.

image.png

image.png

dang good thing i didn’t do the red kote yet . i’m letting it dry out now. after that last acetone it does look just barely better. i think that sealant in there now isn’t gonna come out unless i take to a radiator shop but i’m gonna run with it way it is now. i blew through all the hose lines on the tank and could hear solid air throughout all of them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...