IGNORED

260Z Body Shell RLS30-000017 for sale on Ebay UK

DJACEY(UK)

On 9/26/2020 at 6:45 PM, Zed Head said:

Since you're a member over there you probably don't know that a non-member can't click on those photos to enlarge them.

That's why I posted them above.

With this new information though, it seems that "at least 20 years ago", the shell was at Fourways with no engine in it.  So, who installed the engine, and the other parts, and when?

The vendor. He's also the OP on this thread, so you can ask him about it right here.

A person could assume and suppose but that's what's happening with the Bob Sharp story.

Admittedly it is anecdotal at this point, but a connection to Bob Sharp Racing makes explains this bodyshell's existence and - one time - presence in the USA.

Here's the thing: Have you ever seen or heard of Nissan supplying a bare - unused - bodyshell for an S30-series Z? This is something that they simply did not normally do. Unlike other manufacturers, Nissan did not supply complete bodyshells as spare parts ('Body In White' in the vernacular) let alone fully numbered bodyshells, so it is something clearly outside of normal practices. Being supplied as a spare bodyshell for a well-affiliated race team -  right on the switchover from '240Z' to '260Z' models - adds up. And the chassis number of this bodyshell is very close to those of other BSR cars too. It seems to add up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJACEY(UK) said:

I must also apologise to HS30-H (Albrecht) for copying his thread from the ZClub UK website without acknowledging him or asking his permission to do so.

Absolutely not a problem, and I'm pleased to help in any small way I can. I remember the bodyshell very well, and I'm glad it still exists.

Here's the thing: Show Me Another! as they say. There aren't many opportunities to buy what is clearly a factory-supplied, numbered but un-used (ie, not built into a running and driving complete car by the factory, and sold as such) bodyshell.

• Like 2

I guess one of the unknowns for US buyers would be whether it was registerable or not. South Carolina is pretty flexible but many other states are not, and even here I'm not sure I could register it. Still an interesting idea though. and guess what???? No rust!! That makes it super unique right there!

2 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I guess one of the unknowns for US buyers would be whether it was registerable or not.

If it can be registered here in the UK and obtain the correct paperwork (and I think that's a possible with a little work), then there would be nothing stopping it from being imported to anywhere else in the world and road-registered as any other imported old car would.

But I think it's a moot point anyway. I feel it will sell in the UK, and probably stay in the UK.

• Like 1

What is a Q plate?

In simple terms, in the UK, typically vehicles that are considered to be “kit cars” or have their identity in doubt or have been substantially altered get a Q number plate. See at the bottom of this post for a formal description. Historically, Q plate cars have had a “don’t go near it with a bloody barge pole” stigma as many of them were two cars welded together or bodged repairs on written off cars etc. 

On our pre-2001 plates, a letter on it’s own signifies the year of the vehicle’s registration (or in imported classics circles, year of manufacture). But if that letter is a Q then you have a Q plate.

56ab1caea922ef0b05d37730d866238f.jpg&key=8f66a51ae7820095265db57a80dbb43a8e179b8a70deee5abb9b05ede74e5dd9

For example, my plate is TYM 787 S - the S means 1977. But if the S was on the other side I.e. S787 TYM, it would have meant registered between mid 1998 - early 1999. In 2001 they changed this convention.

Q plates are perceived OK if you have built your own car like the one above - but not great on a classic. In one extreme case I am aware of, a Q plate was issued on a restored MGB for “substantial alterations”, slashing it’s value.

The substantial alterations rules are new and before clarifications were made, were feared by classic car owners such as myself who like non-standard classics. In 99.9% of cases the DVLA is sensible about it.

There is a points system depending on levels of mods. For example, if you take off the front suspension and replace with a double wishbone setup, or transplant a V8 (not an in-line 6) etc then you start losing points and get closer to a Q plate. But if you replace your front suspension arm with TTT ones of the “same configuration” or weld on coil overs, then you are still keeping the same configuration and thus, your points.

2179e27571c45c97be63b6b3cb5a9cf8.jpg&key=70adc9c22c5945f82b032a82a19ab1e98c2ad3a639e2eba6a3317592dae18137

The issue this law is addressing, I understand was started by a classic Bugatti owners club who started to build cars out of parts, issued their own VINs and sold them as original classics (Happy to be corrected).

Something like the body shell being discussed here will not have that issue as it is a genuine VIN from factory on an original shell and once the car is together (one hopes as a tribute or other non-substantially modified incarnation), will likely be treated as any other imported Z project that I’ve written formal date of manufacture validation letters for.

Here’s a better explanation of what gets a Q plate.

There are certain types of cars which will be issued with Q-plates, including:

Self-built kit cars

Radically modified or altered cars

Former Ministry of Defence military vehicles (whose history cannot be released as they are classified)

Self-imported vehicles

Cars without a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Q-plates are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cars whose age or identity is in doubt, with any previous vehicle registration that may have been associated with the car invalid once Q-plates are issued.

Sorry for the long reply, but you did ask [emoji1787]

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AK260 said:

In simple terms, in the UK, typically vehicles that are considered to be “kit cars” or have their identity in doubt or have been substantially altered get a Q number plate. See at the bottom of this post for a formal description. Historically, Q plate cars have had a “don’t go near it with a bloody barge pole” stigma as many of them were two cars welded together or bodged repairs on written off cars etc. 

On our pre-2001 plates, a letter on it’s own signifies the year of the vehicle’s registration (or in imported classics circles, year of manufacture). But if that letter is a Q then you have a Q plate.

56ab1caea922ef0b05d37730d866238f.jpg&key=8f66a51ae7820095265db57a80dbb43a8e179b8a70deee5abb9b05ede74e5dd9

For example, my plate is TYM 787 S - the S means 1977. But if the S was on the other side I.e. S787 TYM, it would have meant registered between mid 1998 - early 1999. In 2001 they changed this convention.

Q plates are perceived OK if you have built your own car like the one above - but not great on a classic. In one extreme case I am aware of, a Q plate was issued on a restored MGB for “substantial alterations”, slashing it’s value.

The substantial alterations rules are new and before clarifications were made, were feared by classic car owners such as myself who like non-standard classics. In 99.9% of cases the DVLA is sensible about it.

There is a points system depending on levels of mods. For example, if you take off the front suspension and replace with a double wishbone setup, or transplant a V8 (not an in-line 6) etc then you start losing points and get closer to a Q plate. But if you replace your front suspension arm with TTT ones of the “same configuration” or weld on coil overs, then you are still keeping the same configuration and thus, your points.

2179e27571c45c97be63b6b3cb5a9cf8.jpg&key=70adc9c22c5945f82b032a82a19ab1e98c2ad3a639e2eba6a3317592dae18137

The issue this law is addressing, I understand was started by a classic Bugatti owners club who started to build cars out of parts, issued their own VINs and sold them as original classics (Happy to be corrected).

Something like the body shell being discussed here will not have that issue as it is a genuine VIN from factory on an original shell and once the car is together (one hopes as a tribute or other non-substantially modified incarnation), will likely be treated as any other imported Z project that I’ve written formal date of manufacture validation letters for.

Here’s a better explanation of what gets a Q plate.

There are certain types of cars which will be issued with Q-plates, including:

Self-built kit cars

Radically modified or altered cars

Former Ministry of Defence military vehicles (whose history cannot be released as they are classified)

Self-imported vehicles

Cars without a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Q-plates are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cars whose age or identity is in doubt, with any previous vehicle registration that may have been associated with the car invalid once Q-plates are issued.

Sorry for the long reply, but you did ask emoji1787.png

Thank you for the comprehensive and informative reply.

I have been collecting license plates for about 50 years, and have learned quite a bit about the details, but just now learned something new, so it is appreciated that you took the time to compose such a great reply.

I recently reregistered my 72 240Z, using the original license plate as “year of manufacture”. It is now permanently registered, although use is limited to test drives after maintenance or repairs, parades, travel to and from shows, or for pleasure.

• Like 1