IGNORED

Just Another Damned Z Car Project Thread

conedodger

I'll have to ask him. He says it's an $18K program and that it costs monthly so you can get support and upgrades? It speaks directly to CAD machines. A buddy of mine works for SpaceX in the Bay Area and he thinks he can get it done for me.

On a side note, you can shade tree this. You buy aluminum threaded rod from McMaster Carr, then you TIG it from the manifold back side where the threaded holes come through and then face the manifold mounting surface. Redrill it in the desired bolt pattern and you are golden. I'm told... 

Edited by conedodger

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Hope your SpaceX guy can take care of you.

I had thought about closing up the original holes and redrilling for a different pattern. I also thought there was no way you were going to try that.    :ph34r:

Well, you’ve seen the manifold. I’ve got too much into it to risk something that might work, plus it’s not my style...

Well good luck and in the event that it doesn't work out with SpaceX, let me know. I'm betting that with enough time and money I could eventually carve something that would work.

Also, if you want, send me a PM to connect me with your son and I can do some design review for him. Might be able to add some value there. I'm no CAD jockey, but I'm sure there's a file format the two of us could use to communicate on some basic level.

Now that the engine compartment refinish is complete, I wanted to start reassembling. I managed to order a stainless brake line kit for the entire car but I was on hold for 27 minutes at Power Brake Supply trying to get a rebuilt ZX booster. I also found three different prices for the Wilwood master cylinder so I put that on hold while I figure the best place to buy it. Hopefully, when I finally get hold of Power Brake Supply, they don't have a problem with using a 240Z booster as a core. At any rate, it's only a $40 core so...

1 hour ago, conedodger said:

Got the 2004 Jeep Wrangler CAS in the mail yesterday. Now, I need a good description of how to modify it. Links? 

IMG_1522.jpg

Google is your friend on this one, but honestly I just took it to a machine shop with my stock dizzy, I just had him match the shafts and key way.  Worked perfectly. 

2 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Google is your friend on this one, but honestly I just took it to a machine shop with my stock dizzy, I just had him match the shafts and key way.  Worked perfectly. 

Thanks @duffymahoney, That is what I will do. I'm assuming they modify the stock shaft and remove the Jeep shaft? My distributor is a Datsun Competition / Euro one so I don't want to lose it! Maybe sell to someone who wants old school I suppose...

You don’t have to ruin the stock at all. 

stock dizzy 

the keyed cog or whatever you call it comes off. Then you need the pedestal. That’s it. 

Jeep

shaft has to be cut, notched and matched in length to the stock dizzy. Then the cog gets pinned onto the jeep shaft. That’s it.