jfa.series1

Repro 240Z Fuel Tank Coming Available

Funny this should pop up today - look what I discovered 3 hours ago while peeling back underseal and what appeared to be surface rust ...

3681669e089b51cf9bb3970b4960bcab.jpg&key=de1dc8819b16016ac6db1d69e07ceba984eab3c22bcfc62f4d90dadf1acb24e2

The joys of a UK car!!! At least the interior plastics are in good order

Was that tank holding fuel by virtue of undercoating?

• Like 1

Was that tank holding fuel by virtue of undercoating?

Ha!! Well, I have a theory that the internal coating combined with paint and under-seal were helping the rust particles hold hands as it never leaked there. In some ways I wish I hadn’t bothered clean up the tank. But in the same way, I’m glad I scraped away all the orange metal to avoid other holes appearing. New tank is on the cards but for now I’m going to fix it and kick that cost down the road a few years.

We think the PO had the tank internals treated so as to fix this pin hole issue (I suspect my aggressive wire brushing grew the holes).

Posted (edited)

$660 shipped to USA seems a bit high priced. And you need to modify the car too.
To fit on a US market car you have to delete the smog return line that starts from the left front inner-fender.”                                         

Aside from that, it’s a great looking part that no one else is doing. I like that it’s galvanized and painted. 

Edited by SurferD

For the cost of tooling and the low production numbers, $660 seems very reasonable. The Smog line should be an easy delete and doesn't have to be a permanent mod

• Like 2

A steal at $660.00. One of the hardest parts to find for the 240Z. 

• Like 1

I would have been happy to pay that for a new tank for my 75 280z. How different are they? I know in 77 they went with the space saver tire and completely changed up the tank, but this new tank looks a lot like my 75.

I would have been happy to pay that for a new tank for my 75 280z. How different are they? I know in 77 they went with the space saver tire and completely changed up the tank, but this new tank looks a lot like my 75.

I had the same thought for my late ‘77 260.

The only real difference that I can spot from the photos is that a) it’s for more pipes coming out of it and default_cool.png the bottom is a different shape with the drain plug in the middle rather than to the side. But I am no expert of course.

My tank looks like this ...

95b15c3179622debcea4090be1d5cefb.plist&key=3aafdf391f9b9434c28ce44d0496e7180a4d4efadcb999e2eab65b6e6f309278

07a87a81b3760df7166a74a36d526e2f.plist&key=12547baa3a31bb498b29433be2ca63a2c2051e99d5ac425d46a62aeb99b5a5fe

Theirs ...

7be05826d71e9588bec732c01a82b06d.jpg&key=6a464d2f093400a434805d9105f817d2b2addd39ac5ea5ea75d0214236ddedb7

388c7ef3fe945a38ecd832ecfa0f92f4.plist&key=a3e75c6bde8ee6f2c9d0ac583d5c7fd7d39fbc6aaf5fa15397257f301fe985e96bade88f48d5df7ee7eba8d7907a34bb.plist&key=881ec3c56c770cc4b8020b2582d89dd0982b76e23e263170e5ccbec834130bb9

The 1/4”’breather hose is the same side as the large one on mine but located the opposite side on theirs.

Also I have an extra round bulge (not me personally you understand!!!) on the top of the flat bit which they don’t have.

I don't understand the delete the smog line. Doesn't it just connect to the vapor tank. All the other connections look the same.Filler,vent,vent,vent,supply,return. Tank looks good to me. Can someone explain how to delete this line that goes to the flow valve on a 240z.

48 minutes ago, jackmau said:

I don't understand the delete the smog line. Doesn't it just connect to the vapor tank. All the other connections look the same.Filler,vent,vent,vent,supply,return. Tank looks good to me. Can someone explain how to delete this line that goes to the flow valve on a 240z.

My guess is that it wasn't on the tank they had available as a model. I looked at the FSM FE section and the photos they have of their tank. I'm not sure which line is not included.

Yes now I agree it’s not that bad a price. I wonder if the internal baffles are the same too. From their site they do some serious restorations  They probably cut one up and copied it. 

Actually I am doing the reproduction.

We have every type FUEL Tank as an example  available. But it was a though choice! Besides we are restoring many US-cars we are also restoring and will restore some US 1969, some European cars, the last 2 came without vapor tank, so that is why we decided to produce without the vapor tank connection.  Also because a lot of people in the US told me that they delete the vapor parts anyway.

To be honest, the white car in the pictures with VIN HLS30-15642 is a US one, we are restoring it as it came out of the factory and for that car we added the connections to the tank after production.

7 hours ago, SurferD said:

Yes now I agree it’s not that bad a price. I wonder if the internal baffles are the same too. From their site they do some serious restorations  They probably cut one up and copied it. 

They are a 99% copy.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:53 PM, AK260 said:

Funny this should pop up today - look what I discovered 3 hours ago while peeling back underseal and what appeared to be surface rust ...

3681669e089b51cf9bb3970b4960bcab.jpg&key=de1dc8819b16016ac6db1d69e07ceba984eab3c22bcfc62f4d90dadf1acb24e2

The joys of a UK car!!! At least the interior plastics are in good order emoji1787.png

And the dashes!

• Like 1

Too bad this pipe wasn't flipped 180 degrees. Then you wouldn't need that 180 degree hose to get back to the evap tank.

Tank.jpg

4 hours ago, christoffel said:

This are exact pictures of the tank+

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

x4.jpg

3F873C66-28F7-47B4-8685-D6ABC185D6FB.jpeg

Yep - you deleted the wrong vents . You should have kept them two and deleted the one at the back of the tank . Nissan still sells a vent hose for the front vent and the side vent doesn’t need a formed hose . The vent you kept is he hardest one to duplicate and reach . Too bad 

Posted (edited)

@w3wilkes @madkawThanks for your feedback. 

It is just from wich perspective you look at it.

We  restore  several 1969 production US cars and European cars, These cars come with tanks that have the connections like the tanks we produce. Also the cars produced for the Japanese market (including the Z432), the UK , Australia and the rest of the world came in this configuraton (without the vapor connections)

A lot of people I know in the US said that this configuration would fit them also, because they delete the vapor system.

For the US market cars we restore to a "as it left the factory"level, after the tanks are produced, we simply ad the connections and we have the tank the car came with when new.

Till now most orders came from the US, but also Japan (for a Z432) and the rest of the world.

I have a 1970 919 color 240Z I use as a daly driver, and this car I run with triple Mikuni's so I don't need the emission and vapor stuff at all on this car.

IMG_3393.jpg

Edited by christoffel
  • Like 3

You didn’t completely delete the vapor system because you left one of the vent tubes . The vent tube you left is the hardest to connect . Im also not sure how you delete all the vents and the fuel tank can properly operate and breathe. There has been members here that have deleted the vents and have had fuel cavitation from lack of air to vent the tank . One vent line might be enough and I think the OEM system seems too much . I also am glad you are making these and I am not nit picking your effort . I just did a tank vapor system with all new hoses and the one in the top back is the worse to do . That why I wish you left the other two .

Good luck and thanks for your efforts 

+1 for Flipping the rear vent tube. This would make replacement of that hose a lot easier. Great job though and the price seems very reasonable to me.

23 hours ago, Derek said:

+1 for Flipping the rear vent tube. This would make replacement of that hose a lot easier. Great job though and the price seems very reasonable to me.

Not sure that’s true . The position it sits below the floor hole is awkward either way. IMHO just a flip wouldn’t be much better . Angled upward towards the hole would be best . Deleted all together would be better . The other hose is available for the front vent . Even if that hose becomes  NLA, it could be done easier them the top rear vent . 
I just did this job on a 71. Replaced all vent lines so it is fresh on my mind . The top rear vent is a mother .