IGNORED

COVID-19

Zed Head

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Masks might be recommended for everyone soon.

Dr Anthony Fauci said the White House is examining whether to recommend more widespread usage of face masks to mitigate the spread of coronavirus.

Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said medical professionals should still have priority in receiving face masks, considering they are on the front lines against the virus.

Officials previously warned Americans against hoarding masks as hospitals said they were running dangerously low on personal protective equipment.

But Fauci said there could potentially be some benefit to more widespread usage of the masks if the country can get a sufficient supply of them.

“Once we get in a situation where we have enough masks, I believe there will be some very serious consideration about more broadening this recommendation of using masks,” Fauci told CNN earlier today. “We’re not there yet, but I think we’re close to coming to some determination.”

The above is what nearly all western leaders are saying.  Here is a translation translate:

1. We don't have enough PPE including masks. We dropped the ball and did not implement the obvious nor copy cat successful countries.  We squandered a couple of months of preparation time. We also lied and said that masks are not helpful AND WE SENT SO MANY FIRST RESPONDERS AND HEALTH CARE WORKERS TO THEIR DEATHS. MANY Of STILL SAY THAT MASKS ARE NOT HELPFUL.

2. Everyone wearing a mask is mandatory to stop the spread.

3. We should have looked at PPE supplies when observing how they were needed and consumed on the news broadcasts last January. We did **** all and you can thank our ignorance for this mess.

4. We depend too much on China manufacturing and now have little-to-no capability to supply our own masks. We let corporate greed **** us again. Please wait (and die) while we realize we can not supply masks. Please wait (and die) while we try to decide that masks are needed, please wait (and die) while we try to ramp up mask manufacturing from scratch.

I think that leaders need IQ and common sense tests.

Edited by 240260280

Trump is talking now.  He is still just a weird weird guy.  I can't comprehend how his brain works.  He started off by talking about how great the economy was before the virus.  "Then we had to shut it off".  Weird words.  Now he's giving name shoutouts to corporate executives again.  Bizarre.  Has trouble pronouncing the big words.  He's telling weird stories about people being "in a coma".  

Birx is up now.  She is showing some good charts.  Talking about hope, but it's still way early.  Birx used the UW IHME model for her projections.

Fauci is up.  Talking about Italy's leveling off.  Mitigation is the key.  Keeps saying the word but hasn't defined it clearly.  Masks or not?  Not a word about masks...

Pence is up.  New motto - "30 Days To Slow The Spread".

Nothing new.  Just have to keep distancing and wait.

Questions...

Lots of good Q and A with the professionals.  Now Trump is up and trying to spin things.  "What would have happened if we had done nothing?"  So that he can compare to 2.2 million.

Trump is asked about face masks.  So he decides to talk about New York and New Jersey.   And Washington.  Now he's talking about what if we didn't do anything again, and the guy in a coma.  He's stuck in repeat mode.  "Lotta death".  He's really rambling and not making sense.  He's asked again and says that if you want to you can wear a scarf.  The experts don't have comments.

And...back to classic Trump.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

My mistake.  I was assuming that the backgrounds stayed "clean".  Of course, you can start clean then get dirty.

Weird that they know how many were completed but don't say how many passed.

Anyway, kind of off-topic.  I don't really see the connection with a pandemic.  People should be setting their guns aside.

I read an article today about people going to the grocery store in Italy and stealing food because they have no money. People walking home with grocery bags being robbed. That kind of behavior can easily show up here

I have a CCW and carry 24/7. There is rarely a weapon more than a few feet away from me. They make great equalizers. I live near a city that has pretty bad crime statistics but in a pretty safe area overall. But bad things still happen here aka Todd Kohlhepp. I have a number of friends in law enforcement and they totally agree with my train of thought. ...the police are only minutes away when seconds count...

It's funny, I don't really carry for my own protection. I carry so I can protect others or my family. It's always nice to have options...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patcon said:

It's funny, I don't really carry for my own protection. I carry so I can protect others or my family. It's always nice to have options...

I think that's how vigilantes think.  "I'm doing this for society".  "They just don't know that they need it."

I'm pretty well along in years and I have never thought "I really wish that I had a gun right now" or "I wish somebody here had a gun to protect me".

Like I said earlier, different thought processes.  Nice that you feel secure from a frontal attack.  You might wake up someday from getting attacked from behind and your gun will be missing.  Or a car or home break-in.  Owned by a criminal.  Have you ever had one of your guns stolen?

All of the "I needed my gun" stories involve somebody being openly aggressive and giving time for a response.  That's not real life.  

Here's the thing about these gun conversations - are you saying that everybody should have a gun and be trained in how to use it?  Should we all have CCW permits, or even better, like some parts of Oregon, just open carry?  Like the Old West.  Because if you're not saying that everybody should have a gun then you're saying that only a select few should have a gun.  How did you become one of the select few?  Secretly protecting society with your concealed weapon.

Edited by Zed Head

Can we stop talking about guns?   The number of guns in society will have no affect on the COVID-19 virus.

I'm going to start a new gun thread.  Give me two seconds.  Here it is.

Edited by Zed Head

Having already commented about the weirdness of thought process going on, I don't need to comment further here.  I grew up with guns but although I am reasonably proficient with them, they never have assumed the importance for me that they seem to have for some others. As noted, no one's opinion changes based on Internet chatter.

The current administration has really screwed the pooch because they dismantled part of our protection against pandemics, using the argument that it was part of budget cuts. We got started late and just a couple of weeks ago Trump was still claiming that it would be over quickly. He's put the whole country two months behind where it should be in preparedness.

Any administration would clearly have had trouble dealing with this situation; that's shown by what's going on in other countries. Trump's insistence on putting political expediency ahead of science has really bitten the whole country in the butt this time. 

About all we can do is minimize our exposure at this point.  Folks like @Av8ferg who have to be out and working deserve our respect.  I live in a college town, in a well-educated neighborhood, and the people here are doing an excellent job of staying home  and being careful when they walk out the door.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

He’s the most intelligent person I’m hearing on their pandemic.  He’s a real leader and I like his non-partisan view.  

I think that I misunderstood your comment here.  Cuomo was the main topic but Kushner was the second one.

Sorry, I think that I assumed you would be a Kushner fan, but maybe you meant Cuomo?  My fault for not clarifying.  I've been polarized.

Various media sources are starting to turn their attention to Cuomo's past decisions.  There's always something in the past.  At least he maintains a focus on the target.  His daily briefings are keeping others honest, I think.

Original post -