IGNORED

Cam Damage w/ pics....

Pinbill

Hey Everyone,

The refurbishment of my 1971 Z has been coming along. I got the engine compartment detailed and its running well. I thought I was done working on it for a while.

There has always been a ticking sound in the top end. I was re checking the adjustment on the valves and I think I found it. There is a chunk out of a valve lobe. There is a little scoring on the rest of the lobe but nothing crazy. It seems like it should be replaced right?

I would like to use this opportunity to upgrade to a cam with internal oiling and block off the oil rail. I would like to keep the cam stock if possible. I can only find performance cams. It looks like I should change the rockers too. Do they make a stock internally oiled cam kit that will fit a 240z?

IMG_20200303_103955661.jpg

IMG_20200303_103923911.jpg

Edited by Pinbill

That's good news. I am hoping to run the car a bit instead of work on it. LOL.

Its sounds just like the motor in this video maybe a little less. I will listen with a hose and concentrate on that area and adjust the valves again.

How quickly do I have to adjust the valves when hot? It seems like the parts can cool down pretty quick.

I’ve got extra stock cams for early heads - spray bar . That doesn’t look terrible but could be source of tick. Sometimes these motors tick a little . Rocker condition should be inspected . 
Stay with stock cam - cmon - cam it !!!!!

• Like 1

If I had to replace a cam, I would never go back stock. Now if I wanted to appear and sound stock, I would just go with a little less aggressive cam

I would recheck lash and inspect the lifters. It has a little noise but not terrible. You could always adjust on the tight side of the spec

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to hear about the ticking noise.   I have a 60k mile car and adjusted the lifters thinking there was a tick.  Afterwards, it didn't quiet down at all.  But it doesn't sound any more loud than the video.

I had a little bit of a tick with my FI L28 recently.  A bit beyond the noisy injectors.  I checked the valve lash(2000 miles since head rebuilt) to find everything in spec.  I forgot that after I assembled and installed the motor in the car, I had to remove the exhaust/intake manifold for unrelated reasons, which tore up the gasket that came with my MSA headers.

Hastily wanting to go drive my recently refreshed motor, I used a stock OEM style intake/exhaust manifold gasket from a gasket set I had laying around.  I believe this is the source of my tick.  Even after re torque.  It sounds slightly less loud than the car in your video. 

Edited by Reptoid Overlords

Hey Guys,

Head gasket leak!!!!! The valve noise doesn't matter. Its going to have to be rebuilt.

There is a leak in the head gasket on the drivers side near the firewall. I didn't notice till I cleaned everything an saw some seeping. I should have replaced it being the gasket is so old. The bad news is I had everything apart already. The good news is I can have the head re done. It will be easy to do because everything is clean already. I will drive it this summer and do it next winter. I will be researching what I want to have done to the head and what type of cam I will put in there

This is kind of embarrassing, but I found a part in my parts washer. I don't know what it is. I think it has to do with the brakes. Maybe the master cylinder. Can anyone identify this part?

Thanks,

Bill

thumbnail_IMG_20200320_123813160.jpg

11 hours ago, Pinbill said:

I should have replaced it being the gasket is so old. The bad news is I had everything apart already.

Are you telling that you had the engine apart and put it together with the OLD HEADGASKET ??? I never met anyone who did THAT!!!  The gasket is for me.. a 1 time use only. Who of you did this also, i would like to know!   (a used headgasket is useless to me! dented and no longer good sealing properties.)

Edited by dutchzcarguy