IGNORED

Anyone using Amsoil with zinc additive?

mbz

76’ 280z California version (manf. 9/75)

I’m planning on doing my first oil change since purchasing the car about a year ago.

PO’s mech used Royal Purple oil (20w50 HPS) and RP filter. It has been running fine, no leaks. There’s really no complaints, just looking to treat this old engine better if possible.

After doing some research on the interwebs, I’m thinking about switching to Amsoil with zinc additive. But as usual when overthinking something simple, it leads to more questions.

Anyone using this stuff?

Is the zinc additive a good idea? Or should I avoid it and why?

Recommendations on viscosity (the 20w50 that PO used seems a bit thick...)?

Recommendations on oil filter? (OE or 3rd party.... does it really matter & why).

Looking to set a game plan to stick with for several years as I like to buy in bulk and save.

TIYA for inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran 20W50 Valvoline in my original 210k mile engine. That engine has since been replaced, but it reduced oil consumption when it was still in the car by a noticeable amount.

I live in a cool climate, and would just always let the car warm up a bit longer than I would now that I'm using 10W30.

When I started tearing that engine down, I noticed some scoring on the crank bearings that would otherwise be making noise under operation if I were to have used lighter weight oil.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mbz said:

Anyone using this stuff?

I have been using it 4 yrs now and love it, bit expensive but I get distributor pricing, I use it in Datsun and BMW engines and down in LA you would have no problem with the viscosity, it's also available in 10w40.

Screenshot_2020-01-04 Z-ROD® 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil(1).png

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

Negative Effects of ZDDP

Generally, high levels of ZDDP result in volatile phosphorus being transferred from the combustion chamber to the catalytic converter. Phosphorus can blind over the catalytic reaction sites in the converter, making it less efficient in turning carbon monoxide (CO) into carbon dioxide (CO2).

Beware if you have a catalytic converter.

• Like 2

Negative Effects of ZDDP Generally, high levels of ZDDP result in volatile phosphorus being transferred from the combustion chamber to the catalytic converter. Phosphorus can blind over the catalytic reaction sites in the converter, making it less efficient in turning carbon monoxide (CO) into carbon dioxide (CO2).
Beware if you have a catalytic converter.

I do have a cat and the car requires smog check every 2 years.
So maybe best to skip the zinc additives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk