IGNORED

FS5W71B Rebuild Thread - Tips tricks and discoveries!

zKars

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I see there is stated a 280zx has a C type box? where i know it's a B.. A 280zx has never had a Fs5W71C always a B   i could be wrong ofcourse.  So they (also) don't know it all..

There is a bad database out there that somebody created for the Z car transmission parts.  Apparently everyone uses it because the same errors are shown by everybody.  It's kind of illuminating about how the car parts market works.  There is another about CV axles for the 240Z.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Speaking of center finders, here is a new cool tool of that ilk that appeared on the ol’ FB feed today.

https://www.centerquic.com/?fbclid=IwAR2qYZtaqWD0fYPMFBh5QQUuivk6HbW9_4nqL0SCk1PHutx-C6B4nT2LYQ8_aem_AZBxVPZMyQBRqlSeY_76rQlEL4s4Lbpu5c3QIw0Efp9DDIcEwJj3dOuf_5xhVlkR5e5Yxr72CvqgWUDoomgqObEK5WAORsFvh2zrzCo13nXQgt05YdcFxIWGmVjZMtXM92Y

$168 USD.   To click or not to click “Purchase now”…

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, zKars said:

BUT this sad little truck trans IS a donor for my worn out 1/2 shift fork! They are identickle!

Took it apart today, and it's in perfect shape. 

Gear ratio's are interesting. Being a truck, first is a bit of a stump puller.

1 3.592
2 2.246
3 1.415
4 1
5 0.813

Sorry to resurrect an old post from a semi-old thread, but I’m curious what makes you say the first gear ratio on the truck transmission is a stump puller. It’s identical to the stock 4-speed ratio (as are 2, 3, and 4), according to ZHome.

I’m concerned about this as this is the transmission I’m intending to put into my ‘73 (a 1980 720 5-speed with case #1).

Edited by Matthew Abate

1 hour ago, Matthew Abate said:

Sorry to resurrect an old post from a semi-old thread, but I’m curious what makes you say the first gear ratio on the truck transmission is a stump puller. It’s identical to the stock 4-speed ratio (as are 2, 3, and 4), according to ZHome.

I’m concerned about this as this is the transmission I’m intending to put into my ‘73 (a 1980 720 5-speed with case #1).

Well, I stand corrected. And thinking about it after having driven this trans for many miles, first is not as low as I thought. Thanks for setting that straight