7tooZ

Which rear spoiler

I have been pondering adding a rear spoiler and am looking for feedback on the two BRE choices. 
    491735D0-5067-426A-AA0D-40387D636B2B.png

The newer model. Slightly wider/taller

6DCC6D8E-2834-42FD-8F89-86C557DF7F09.png

Original 

here are some shots of my car6C261AF5-6374-4DBF-B623-17DC78F48F06.jpegD7D4BFD3-CCDF-4153-A983-A837B2385838.jpeg28B2E72B-5F81-4DD4-B630-83F4EA856D52.jpeg

Edited by 7tooZ
    Deletued duplicate

I presume your heading was a typo. But since I am partial to 918 orange, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Leave that poor car alone.  It looks great the way it is.

I have the original style BRE (as in installed in 1971), well pleased with the appearance.  Be advised in advance - you'll sacrifice your hatch badging and likely have at least one hole showing after you install a spoiler.  That is one fine looking car!

CZCC03.jpg

Edited by jfa.series1

My two biggest regrets: 

tattooing my ex-wife's first name on my bicep and installing a rear spoiler on my first 240Z 😣

Keep the back slick.

• Haha 2

Maybe the newer style help covers the hole? Making it taller would in theory make the base a little wider...

After rereading BRE statement about the two:

“If on-track speed or a more elegant look are your priority, the newly designed spoiler is the way to go.“

I am intrigued about the newer wide shorter version and why it is more “Elegant? Is there anyone out there can send Photos of the front side and their experience. 

Maybe they are referring to this version, this is what I understand to be the newest repop of the original like @jfa.series1 has on his car only this one has the rectangular window/face plate on the P/S.  It also does not cover the highest hole for the badging.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

Mine is the early style. No ribs on the front side. I still like it after all these years.

I do believe one hole was not covered after install, but was taken care of when I got it repainted.

P1020458crop.JPG

P1020459.JPG

16 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

I have been pondering adding a rear spoiler and am looking for feedback on the two BRE choices. 
    491735D0-5067-426A-AA0D-40387D636B2B.png

The newer model. Slightly wider/taller

6DCC6D8E-2834-42FD-8F89-86C557DF7F09.png

Original 

here are some shots of my car6C261AF5-6374-4DBF-B623-17DC78F48F06.jpegD7D4BFD3-CCDF-4153-A983-A837B2385838.jpeg28B2E72B-5F81-4DD4-B630-83F4EA856D52.jpeg

Mine is similar with dealer installed spoilers. The rear is the early style with the emblem stuck on back of the spoiler. I like mine a lot.

I removed mine and had them repainted when I bought the car. Reinstalling was a horrible job and took me most of a night. The two far end nuts are damn near impossible but you can get them. Buy Band-Aids. LOL

Screenshot_20190102-183746_Gallery.jpg

Here's the only shot I have on phone of the rear.

20170217_152535.jpg

Latest version with rubber free bumpers and different sunlight.

Screenshot_20191006-140133_Gallery.jpg

Here's a few I took inside. Its cold out. More of the difference between the two was my intention but I'm no photographer so I'll post them all.

Like I said earlier I like the way my car looks. Spoilers were a big thing in the '70s from what I remember. 

20191112_125231.jpg

20191112_125335.jpg

20191112_125114.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

Nice looking Z, siteunseen.  Do you ever have any issues with your front air dam making contact with curbs, driveways, etc.?  If I ever decide to add a rear spoiler, I’d want to balance it with a front air dam.

Edited by SoCalJim

Thank you Jim!

It's never scraped since I've had it and theres no damage on the bottom side of the lip so I'll say scraping isn't a problem. There's not much distance between the spoiler and the tires is all I can think of. I also use a ZX radiator which sits a few inches lower than OE. Never scraped or bumped.

I can't say anything about the actual purpose of front or rear spoilers, I just think they look good. The Xenon on front of my 280 made a big difference at higher speed lifting. I am more of a red light to red light speeder driving my 240. The 280 is heavier and handles way better up top.

20160702_093134.jpg

If you all need more pics I would be glad to post more. Cliff

Edited by siteunseen
    • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SoCalJim said:

Do you ever have any issues with your front air dam making contact with curbs, driveways, etc.?  

Not the air dam but I have that 2.5" performance exhaust from MSA. It scrapes though. I have to really aware of that too, my car is lowered and when I get on a "scrape" knowing I have to keep going draws my balls inside my body. LOL

• Like 1

My driveway-to-street transition is a concern.  My wife’s Volt is low and also has an air dam.  We have to back out “just right” to avoid scraping.

As for your exhaust pipe scraping, maybe our friends in Japan (see below 😁) have the right answer.

26 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I can't say anything about the actual purpose of front or rear spoilers, I just think they look good.

I guess the air dam and spoiler reduce lift / increase downforce at each end of the car.  I’m not sure how much lift at each end of the car is inherent in the Z’s design.  For fast highway cruising or canyon carving, I wonder if the basic Z design needs these aero bits.  And, is added aero more important at one end or the other, or are both required for balancing the forces on the car?

D01FB4CA-FD86-4EAF-9072-E229F0222010.jpeg

Edited by SoCalJim
    • Haha 2

8 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Here's a few I took inside. Its cold out. More of the difference between the two was my intention but I'm no photographer so I'll post them all.

Like I said earlier I like the way my car looks. Spoilers were a big thing in the '70s from what I remember. 

I really like that one too. I have same front as yours

thanks

Edited by 7tooZ

On 11/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, SoCalJim said:

And, is added aero more important at one end or the other, or are both required for balancing the forces on the car?

I found that the front of the car feels like it starts to float above about 90MPH. I now have the front air dam and the car feels much better at high speed. I don't have a rear spoiler, but if I got one I could swear I've seen wings like this on a S30 car.

Rear wing.jpg