Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, new guy here. I purchased a 1983 zx last year and haven't touched it yet due to so many projects for other people. I'm caught up enough to start building myself a car, and I want this to be my best and last one. I'm getting too old and broke down to put this off any longer. I've been a hot rod mechanic and body man for 30 years and lm lost on the Datsun with all the electronics. I guess I'm too old school and set in my ways to even want to know how it all works. I hope to get help from you guys and I'll give what help I can in other areas I'm more familiar with.

Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, stick figure! What’re you going to do to your ZX?  Stock resto, restomod, renovation with some mods, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, welcome to the forum. '83 is the cream of the crop with all the bells and whistles or "bitchin Betty" telling you your lights are on. LOL

Does your state require inspection? That will be a big factor in the hot rodding aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are running your stock cam and your stock EFi is in optimal running condition, you can leave it alone.  There's a factory service manual, and what folks call an EFI bible that you'll want to look up and download, if possible.

You can ditch the stock EFI for this programmable EFi.  It's expensive but I imagine it's worth it if yours is toast.

https://zcardepot.com/products/fuel-injection-retrofit-kit-fast-efi-280z-280zx#

I'm running stock fuel injection, and stock cam on my '80ZX with a motor out of an '82(same as yours, flat top pistons) but with the head shaved for high compression. I'm too broke after new suspension/brakes/engine/transmission to spring for the programmable EFI, or I'd totally go that route. 

Loads of options for modifications.  Truthfully, if you can build a small block Chevy, you shouldn't have any trouble with these.  The electronics can be troublesome, but it's manageable. Do you have the automatic climate control?  I've heard they can be problematic. 

These cars are very dependable, as long as it's not totally abused and/or rusted out.  The main reason I've done any modifications is just for the fun of it.  It was a 210.000 mile daily driver before I tore everything apart, and still is even now. 

Post up some pictures when you get a chance.  This site fields the most comprehensive group of Z car enthusiasts anywhere. 

Edited by Reptoid Overlords

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoCalJim said:

Welcome, stick figure! What’re you going to do to your ZX?  Stock resto, restomod, renovation with some 

 Haven't made up my mind yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

If you are running your stock cam and your stock EFi is in optimal running condition, you can leave it alone.  There's a factory service manual, and what folks call an EFI bible that you'll want to look up and download, if possible.

You can ditch the stock EFI for this programmable EFi.  It's expensive but I imagine it's worth it if yours is toast.

https://zcardepot.com/products/fuel-injection-retrofit-kit-fast-efi-280z-280zx#

I'm running stock fuel injection, and stock cam on my '80ZX with a motor out of an '82(same as yours, flat top pistons) but with the head shaved for high compression. I'm too broke after new suspension/brakes/engine/transmission to spring for the programmable EFI, or I'd totally go that route. 

Loads of options for modifications.  Truthfully, if you can build a small block Chevy, you shouldn't have any trouble with these.  The electronics can be troublesome, but it's manageable. Do you have the automatic climate control?  I've heard they can be problematic. 

These cars are very dependable, as long as it's not totally abused and/or rusted out.  The main reason I've done any modifications is just for the fun of it.  It was a 210.000 mile daily driver before I tore everything apart, and still is even now. 

Post up some pictures when you get a chance.  This site fields the most comprehensive group of Z car enthusiasts anywhere. 

Runs like crap, idles too high, pops, won't rev, I just don't like computer controlled engines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stick figure said:

Runs like crap, idles too high, pops, won't rev, I just don't like computer controlled engines

Many of us would opt for computer controlled cars if funds weren't an issue. There are some really nice things about computer controlled cars. The late 70s and early 80s cars require a logical mechanical mind to sort out, but it can be done. They ran great when new, so it can be done. Many of the cars have been neglected and hacked on by previous owners but this forum sorts out a hand full or more of these kinds of cars and associated problems every year. I suspect you have a bunch of vacuum leaks to start with. It's just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it, but a 4 barrel is not a good choice for these engines. If I was adamant about going carburated, I would bolt on a set of SU's. They are simple and very effective. They also have a more even fuel mixture over the 6 cylinders, that the 4 barrel won't and you don't need a box full of jets to get the mixture right

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This car is a huge project. The front frame and floors are gone but the rear is pretty good. Surprisingly with all the rot, you can jack up the car anywhere and no flex. No matter where you raise the car, the door gap doesn't change and they shut like a new car, and it's a t top car. After adding up everything engine wise I wanted to do isn't worth it to me, so I'm keeping the fuel injection for now. I'll start with replacing all the vacuum lines. The car instantly starts and idles, just won't rev. I'll post pictures later, has an inch of snow on it this morning. I have the garage  tied up again, putting a big block in the car hauler, but I hope to get it done today then I'll bring the datsun in.  I have bone spurs in my back and I don't know how much longer I can do this, so this datsun will be my last big project, my retirement car.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stick figure said:

you can jack up the car anywhere and no flex. No matter where you raise the car, the door gap doesn't change and they shut like a new car

Hi Stick, not to worry you but,  I've had 2 t-top cars.. if you put one front wheel on a wooden block about 6 inches high... with the hood open you'll never get it shut because of torsion of the whole chassis.. especially the T-bar cars are bad.  The lock go's 2" out of line!  (I had this when the car ( a 1980 280zx tbar 2+2) was only 11 year old and in perfect condition.)  It's the reason that i'm now restoring a 280zx with slick top. Welcom here Stick, if you need answers, here is the place to go i think!! :beer:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BobGarnett said:

Welcome to the forum! Cheers!

Is post count a requirement for starting a picture gallery?  Maybe @Mike can give you a waiver so you don't have to dig...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense, it just seems goofy to wade through old threads just to say "welcome".  Besides the insincerity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been so busy at work and gathering parts I haven't had anything to post. We are a monument/ burial vault, crematorium, funeral home, hot rod garage. Our boss loves money and loves to spend money even more. Since July we've bought, sold and traded 5 c10s, 2 novas, 23 t bucket, 30 model a, 2 mustangs, 39 international, 36 Chevy, 61 falcon, 2 62 rancheros, a drag maverick, and a 68 firebird. We split 60/40. There is only 2 of us so I get 20 percent of the profit, which isn't much because of the trading. I've been taking parts as pay, way cheaper than anywhere else I could get them. I have an idea I got from the drag car. I have 2, 20 foot sticks of 1/8 in 4x2, a Ford 390, and a mustang 2 front suspension. I've decided to subframe the datsun. My floors and front frame are just too far gone and I hate welding upside down. Our lift would be in the way to fix where I need to weld, if I could pick it up with it anyway. Datsun z parts cars around here are going for $2500 and up. I could sell mine and make 4 times what I paid for it but I love these cars. The garage is full for a while so I'm driveway bound for now, but I'll post pics as I go. It's raining today so I doubt if I get anything done but research until it clears up. Feel free to give advice, positive or negative. This is going to be my last personal hot rod I build for me if my back can take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Stick figure said:

I've decided to subframe the datsun.

You mean a rotisary? i think? ?    Like to see some pic's of the bad spots on a USA type 280zx..   mine, (you can find it under: restoration of a 1979 2+2 slickroof 280zx)  was almost without any rust, only the carglass guys had made a mess of the frontwindow edge at some time..   nice to see someone is going to restore another 280zx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.