IGNORED

Hello everyone, new guy here. I purchased a 1983 zx last year and haven't touched it yet due to so many projects for other people. I'm caught up enough to start building myself a car, and I want this to be my best and last one. I'm getting too old and broke down to put this off any longer. I've been a hot rod mechanic and body man for 30 years and lm lost on the Datsun with all the electronics. I guess I'm too old school and set in my ways to even want to know how it all works. I hope to get help from you guys and I'll give what help I can in other areas I'm more familiar with.

Thanks

• Like 1

If you are running your stock cam and your stock EFi is in optimal running condition, you can leave it alone.  There's a factory service manual, and what folks call an EFI bible that you'll want to look up and download, if possible.

You can ditch the stock EFI for this programmable EFi.  It's expensive but I imagine it's worth it if yours is toast.

https://zcardepot.com/products/fuel-injection-retrofit-kit-fast-efi-280z-280zx#

I'm running stock fuel injection, and stock cam on my '80ZX with a motor out of an '82(same as yours, flat top pistons) but with the head shaved for high compression. I'm too broke after new suspension/brakes/engine/transmission to spring for the programmable EFI, or I'd totally go that route. 

Loads of options for modifications.  Truthfully, if you can build a small block Chevy, you shouldn't have any trouble with these.  The electronics can be troublesome, but it's manageable. Do you have the automatic climate control?  I've heard they can be problematic. 

These cars are very dependable, as long as it's not totally abused and/or rusted out.  The main reason I've done any modifications is just for the fun of it.  It was a 210.000 mile daily driver before I tore everything apart, and still is even now. 

Post up some pictures when you get a chance.  This site fields the most comprehensive group of Z car enthusiasts anywhere. 

Edited by Reptoid Overlords

1 hour ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

If you are running your stock cam and your stock EFi is in optimal running condition, you can leave it alone.  There's a factory service manual, and what folks call an EFI bible that you'll want to look up and download, if possible.

You can ditch the stock EFI for this programmable EFi.  It's expensive but I imagine it's worth it if yours is toast.

https://zcardepot.com/products/fuel-injection-retrofit-kit-fast-efi-280z-280zx#

I'm running stock fuel injection, and stock cam on my '80ZX with a motor out of an '82(same as yours, flat top pistons) but with the head shaved for high compression. I'm too broke after new suspension/brakes/engine/transmission to spring for the programmable EFI, or I'd totally go that route. 

Loads of options for modifications.  Truthfully, if you can build a small block Chevy, you shouldn't have any trouble with these.  The electronics can be troublesome, but it's manageable. Do you have the automatic climate control?  I've heard they can be problematic. 

These cars are very dependable, as long as it's not totally abused and/or rusted out.  The main reason I've done any modifications is just for the fun of it.  It was a 210.000 mile daily driver before I tore everything apart, and still is even now. 

Post up some pictures when you get a chance.  This site fields the most comprehensive group of Z car enthusiasts anywhere. 

Runs like crap, idles too high, pops, won't rev, I just don't like computer controlled engines

5 minutes ago, Stick figure said:

Runs like crap, idles too high, pops, won't rev, I just don't like computer controlled engines

Many of us would opt for computer controlled cars if funds weren't an issue. There are some really nice things about computer controlled cars. The late 70s and early 80s cars require a logical mechanical mind to sort out, but it can be done. They ran great when new, so it can be done. Many of the cars have been neglected and hacked on by previous owners but this forum sorts out a hand full or more of these kinds of cars and associated problems every year. I suspect you have a bunch of vacuum leaks to start with. It's just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it, but a 4 barrel is not a good choice for these engines. If I was adamant about going carburated, I would bolt on a set of SU's. They are simple and very effective. They also have a more even fuel mixture over the 6 cylinders, that the 4 barrel won't and you don't need a box full of jets to get the mixture right

• Like 1

This car is a huge project. The front frame and floors are gone but the rear is pretty good. Surprisingly with all the rot, you can jack up the car anywhere and no flex. No matter where you raise the car, the door gap doesn't change and they shut like a new car, and it's a t top car. After adding up everything engine wise I wanted to do isn't worth it to me, so I'm keeping the fuel injection for now. I'll start with replacing all the vacuum lines. The car instantly starts and idles, just won't rev. I'll post pictures later, has an inch of snow on it this morning. I have the garage  tied up again, putting a big block in the car hauler, but I hope to get it done today then I'll bring the datsun in.  I have bone spurs in my back and I don't know how much longer I can do this, so this datsun will be my last big project, my retirement car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stick figure said:

you can jack up the car anywhere and no flex. No matter where you raise the car, the door gap doesn't change and they shut like a new car

Hi Stick, not to worry you but,  I've had 2 t-top cars.. if you put one front wheel on a wooden block about 6 inches high... with the hood open you'll never get it shut because of torsion of the whole chassis.. especially the T-bar cars are bad.  The lock go's 2" out of line!  (I had this when the car ( a 1980 280zx tbar 2+2) was only 11 year old and in perfect condition.)  It's the reason that i'm now restoring a 280zx with slick top. Welcom here Stick, if you need answers, here is the place to go i think!! :beer:

• Like 1