IGNORED

Stock Valve Cover Finish

Timely post for me (and anyone else interested in a correct stock restoration) that you made here Philip-------and exactly as you said in your reply just now Charles!!

How would you describe the finish as shown in the photos of this NOS valve cover??

Raw aluminum, as from the mold, satin finish???

Do you think there were any additional treatments or processes used to remove casting flash or surface/ finish irregularities?

Attached is the judging sheet I received for entry of Zilver, my 1973 240Z, at the 2019 ZFest/Zcon held in Branson this past summer.

1 Zup Daniels 240Z stock.pdf

The most difficult point deduction for me to understand regarding the comment of the judges was regarding the finish of the valve cover.

ENGINE and ENGINE COMPARTMENT                                                      Comments                                                                         Deduction

2. Engine block / oil pan / cylinder head                                                    valve cover finish blasted                                                         1

My query is this:   

What is one to do?

IMG_4107.JPG

This photo is from engine restoration prior to Zcon 2015 in Memphis when I entered Zilver in "240Z Street Modified" class----before I made the conversion back to the original flat tops.

After 47 years of accumulated use, (being subjected to oil changes, valve adjustments and all other manner of possible maintenance issues) certainly most, if not all, valve covers will need some form of restoration back to "as from factory" condition. Paint, polish or plating are obviously not correct finishes.

At the time of my restorative efforts I chose to have the cover bead blasted with a very fine USED glass bead. It almost had the consistency of flour and the cover was gone over several times until there was an even surface appearance and texture. Satin finish---no gloss or swirl---it looked very much to me like the NOS example you linked above.

I then applied GIBBS BRAND OIL to the cover liberally, several times, removing the excess after several minutes so there was no pooling or surface wetness.

The GIBBS penetrates into the pores of the metal and (because it is there first) prevents the entry of anything in the way of water, other oils, dirt or combustion soot from adhering or accumulating and its anti-corrosion properties prevent oxidation of the aluminum (white spots or flaking). A simple rinse with Dawn detergent mixed with water over the surface followed by a thorough rinse from the garden hose with clean water, allow to dry, and a re-application of the GIBBS oil has maintained the cover for the last 5 years. Zilver is no "garage queen". The  car is frequently driven locally and has been driven from N.W. Arkansas to and back from each of the Zcons  attended. (Memphis, Austin, Atlanta and Branson)

I don't know of any other way. In agreement with what Charles said above----What would the judges have us to do if not bead blast????

This is not "sour grapes" or meant to be a slam on the judges but-----

BE REASONABLE!!!

• Like 2

I have an NOS L4 valve cover that looks a lot like the ebay cover. The finish really appears like un-finished raw aluminum, and there is lots of variability in the finish. It is not shiny, but has some reflective qualities. It does look a lot like freshly fine bead blasted, but more variable and smoother if that makes any sense. This cover has been in open air for 40+ years on an NOS L18 SSS motor on display.

I'll try to get some sun lit pictures that show the variations. 

There has I believe been some continued oxidation with time while in my possession.

IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_2996.JPGIMG_2995.JPG

Edited by zKars

Zup summed that up for me succinctly! Most valve covers will need some restoration. I wouldn't want to bolt a less than pristine valve cover onto one of Motormans cars or Zups or any number of other cars on this site. So how do judges expect that to happen? Maybe some one could tag Fred Buoni to weigh in on this? I would be surprised if the valve covers came out of the mold exactly as they appear NOS

My guess is they want one that looks like it did on the day it left the factory or shortly thereafter on dealer delivery. We may be going just a bit too far sometimes to make our details look a bit too fresh and consistent.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:06 AM, Zup said:

Attached is the judging sheet I received for entry of Zilver, my 1973 240Z, at the 2019 ZFest/Zcon held in Branson this past summer.

1 Zup Daniels 240Z stock.pdf 2.3 MB · 6 downloads

Zup, we (Motorman7 with my '73) also got dinged a point for the bead blasted valve cover. 

However, in looking at your judging sheets, my calculator says you achieved 290 points, which is the level ("290 or above")  for the Gold Medallion status.

From the current ZCCA Judging Manual " All vehicles scoring a total overall score of two hundred and ninety (290) points or above in their respective class (except Daily Driver) are eligible to receive the Gold Medallion or Gold Cup achievement award of excellence for their efforts."

I know they did not announce that for you at ZCON, but have you received that since?  I hope so, you deserve it!

Edited by jayhawk
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jayhawk said:

From the current ZCCA Judging Manual " All vehicles scoring a total overall score of two hundred and ninety (290) points or above in their respective class (except Daily Driver) are eligible to receive the Gold Medallion or Gold Cup achievement award of excellence for their efforts."

I know they did not announce that for you at ZCON, but have you received that since?  I hope so, you deserve it!

I wish he did, no one deserves it more.   The key word there is "eligible",  I believe it is up to the judges discretion in their final meeting whether or not to award the gold level award.  

• Sad 1