IGNORED

Replaced head on 280z and camshaft sprocket mount is different

camaro-guy

My son and I bought a rebuilt n42 head. We have replaced the head, but when we went to install the cam sprocket, we noticed the end of the cam is different. The first Pic is a pic of the head we took off and the second is of the head we put on the car. The place where the sprocket mounts is different. Got any ideas on how we should tackle this problem?

camaro-guy

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

Agreed, the cam is just slid back.  Look at the back end of the cam.  It should be flush with the rear tower and yours likely sticks out the back.  The retainer only keeps it from sliding too far forward.  The gear and accompanying bolt keep it from sliding rearward.

3 hours ago, camaro-guy said:

You guys are absolutely correct! I have been pretty nervous about this whole head swap and I completely over looked the obvious. We will try to tap it forward this morning with a rubber mallet! Project is back on the move! Thanks again!

Camaro-guy

You should not need any mallet. It should easily move forward by hand and not tight.

If not, you have to find the problem. Head warped? Towers not torqued properly?

good point with all the valve gear out of the way make sure the cam shaft spins easy with no tight spots. I don't have 1st hand info on this, but much has been written about having head work done and the effects it can have on the alignment of the cam bores. Obviously you would want some assembly lube on the cam journals as well. Have to check it with the rockers not engaging the cam lobes. If its tight at some spots I would think over time it could lead to metal fatigue and cam shaft failure. Again reading tells me the correct way to fix a warped head is to either attempt to straighten it (heat and pressure) or machine it bottom AND top, then use shims as needed to correct geometry of the rockers by shimming up the towers. Followed up with careful torqueing of the cam towers while test spinning the cam shaft. A lot to read up on but its out there.

Edited by Dave WM