dhp123166

SURVEY: 240z Hitachi AM/ FM Radio Question

Hello,

I have a query for  71-73 240z Hitachi AM/ FM Radio owners both current and prospective.

Does it matter to you if the the insides of the radio are not OEM?

If the obsolete 40 year old circuitry is swapped out for new digital innards does it make a difference as long as the exterior is identical to OEM?

Thanks, daniel p.

My personal answer is no, it doesn't matter as I consider the throbbing pulse of that overhead cam six enough sweet music to my tender ears so that I wouldn't turn the radio on.  But to a period perfectionist it would matter.  I should, however, admit that I plan to install the optional 8-track in 26th.  But the same thought applies; I don't plan to turn it on!  Might ruin it!

Current standard of affairs for clock repair share a similar question.

33 minutes ago, dhp123166 said:

If the obsolete 40 year old circuitry is swapped out for new digital innards does it make a difference as long as the exterior is identical to OEM?

It doesn't make a difference to me, although others may feel differently.  I would prefer it to be updated and if it kept the OEM exterior appearance, all the better.  

My  '71 Z is currently a collection of OEM, installed at the factory in Japan, and replacement parts installed in five or six states.  So, no worries.  I can't imagine a "purist" pulling a radio and opening it to see if it had original circuitry.  That kind of fanatic would probably also "sniff-check" the air in the original spare to see if it had been replaced.

After dealing with Porsche cars and car shows for 40 years, I know there are Porsche owners and show judges who are probably that fanatical.  But, I haven't run across the equivalent in the "Z" community.

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

If you are not entered in a Concours d'Elegance event, why should it matter?

Because I appreciate that some Datsun owners are fanatically obsessive about detail but am wondering if it really makes a difference to the average owner.

I have a bunch of nonfunctional Hitachi AM/ FM radios and need to make a decision what to do with them.

One of my vendors is a business in Sacramento whom repairs these old relics but repair time is getting frustratingly long (like 6-8 months on end).

For years they did a very excellent and cost effective job for me but I am pretty much of the opinion at this point that they are unreliable.

Solid state radio repairmen are a dying breed and trying to find another is a dauntless task.

Perusing the internet, there seems to be a fair amount of repairmen whom replace the old guts with new circuitry while utilizing the stock case, knobs, plug and dial.

So I guess I am doing cost/ benefit analysis for both directions.

Thanks for the help folks!

daniel p.

Edited by dhp123166

I like the time machine effect of getting into a period correct car. Too bad there are no AM radios any more in most regions.  I guess buy a USB to AM transmitter and carry your radio station with you.

It would matter to me.  I would probably rather have a non functioning factory radio than one that has had the insides removed.  I have a '71 with the factory radio.  I think the speaker cone is ripped.  So it sounds pretty bad.  I bought an AM for a '70 I am redoing.  I have no idea if it works but I will install it anyway.  If I am going over 40mph with the windows down, I cant hear it anyway.  Especially with my wife in the car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 87mj said:

It would matter to me.  I would probably rather have a non functioning factory radio than one that has had the insides removed.  I have a '71 with the factory radio.  I think the speaker cone is ripped.  So it sounds pretty bad.  I bought an AM for a '70 I am redoing.  I have no idea if it works but I will install it anyway.  If I am going over 40mph with the windows down, I cant hear it anyway.  Especially with my wife in the car.

Your wife gets in your Z? 

Wow, she's a keeper! 😁

My Hitachi AM/FM is gutless, only picks up a few stations, and drifts away from the stations it gets. I'm planning to swap in a new radio but would rather keep it looking stock. So hell yes I'd do that.

• Like 1

I went with a RetroSound, looks pretty stock, but I can listen to any choice of album off my phone via bluetooth. Beach Boys, Beatles, CSN, Airplane, Big Brother, all the stuff I grew up with.

To me the whole "ambiance" inside the cabin is what matters. That includes all switches and knobs looking good and working properly, including the radio. I really don't mind if the radio was repaired with old or new technology as long as it looks era correct, but the best sound possible it emits is truly appreciated.

• Like 2

Matters to me since I like to keep it original for reasons that I had this same car as a teen new, and just want it the same now. That and I really don't care if the quality is not up to todays standards since I don't listen to music much while driving, I prefer the sound of the engine. For music I have my Fisher 400/HH Scott/Sansui 8080 etc...

• Like 1

Well it depends on what you want from your car - at the end of the day it’s YOUR car!! I vexed about this one for some time then slapped myself and went back to reality where I painfully gutted it and replaced the internals such that every switch and button works but with modern internals.

The fact is, I don’t run original tyres, brake pads / discs, I have non-flat top carbs, non-original colour / wheels, non factory exhaust, non-stock alternator or distributor, H4 headlamps, poly bushing, stainless steel bumpers, unleaded fuel ... and the list goes on. But what I do want from my car is to drive the way I enjoy driving it, to be what I demand of it and for the stereo to function properly. That means picking up radio stations I actually want to hear, connecting to my iPhone and playing my music, acting as a hands free kit when I get a call and having enough power to be heard over that glorious straight six warble and entertain me when on the motorway while sitting at 70 in 5th being bored.

On the last trip to Silverstone 50th I sat in traffic for well over 3 hours not moving very quickly and participated in a conference call for two hours + some classic period correct 70’s disco for the rest of the time - until we hit the decent roads and turned it all off to enjoy the real soundtrack.

As an old school electronic engineer, it pained me greatly to to destroy the beautifully crafted interior of that radio but what I wanted was a fully functional, decent sounding piece of kit that is more than nostalgia in function yet looks totally original when not in use.

However if I had a concourse, fully stock Z, then I’d keep everything original any day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dmorales-bello said:

To me the whole "ambiance" inside the cabin is what matters. That includes all switches and knobs looking good and working properly, including the radio. I really don't mind if the radio was repaired with old or new technology as long as it looks era correct, but the best sound possible it emits is truly appreciated.

This guy has it figured out.  I am the same way.  That is why I would NEVER consider converting my analog clock to quartz.  I even notice (and remember from my youth in 1979), the sound of that loud clock ticking right before I turn the key.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 87mj said:

This guy has it figured out.  I am the same way.  That is why I would NEVER consider converting my analog clock to quartz.  I even notice (and remember from my youth in 1979), the sound of that loud clock ticking right before I turn the key.

ah the sound of the ticking indeed! I just like the feel of the push buttons. I did comprise some, I put in a second speaker (in the unused location) and popped for a later model Hitachi that had stereo, I am not a barbarian after all.

• Like 2