IGNORED

SURVEY: 240z Hitachi AM/ FM Radio Question

dhp123166

Hello,

I have a query for  71-73 240z Hitachi AM/ FM Radio owners both current and prospective.

Does it matter to you if the the insides of the radio are not OEM?

If the obsolete 40 year old circuitry is swapped out for new digital innards does it make a difference as long as the exterior is identical to OEM?

Thanks, daniel p.

My personal answer is no, it doesn't matter as I consider the throbbing pulse of that overhead cam six enough sweet music to my tender ears so that I wouldn't turn the radio on.  But to a period perfectionist it would matter.  I should, however, admit that I plan to install the optional 8-track in 26th.  But the same thought applies; I don't plan to turn it on!  Might ruin it!

Current standard of affairs for clock repair share a similar question.

33 minutes ago, dhp123166 said:

If the obsolete 40 year old circuitry is swapped out for new digital innards does it make a difference as long as the exterior is identical to OEM?

It doesn't make a difference to me, although others may feel differently.  I would prefer it to be updated and if it kept the OEM exterior appearance, all the better.  

My  '71 Z is currently a collection of OEM, installed at the factory in Japan, and replacement parts installed in five or six states.  So, no worries.  I can't imagine a "purist" pulling a radio and opening it to see if it had original circuitry.  That kind of fanatic would probably also "sniff-check" the air in the original spare to see if it had been replaced.

After dealing with Porsche cars and car shows for 40 years, I know there are Porsche owners and show judges who are probably that fanatical.  But, I haven't run across the equivalent in the "Z" community.

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

If you are not entered in a Concours d'Elegance event, why should it matter?

Because I appreciate that some Datsun owners are fanatically obsessive about detail but am wondering if it really makes a difference to the average owner.

I have a bunch of nonfunctional Hitachi AM/ FM radios and need to make a decision what to do with them.

One of my vendors is a business in Sacramento whom repairs these old relics but repair time is getting frustratingly long (like 6-8 months on end).

For years they did a very excellent and cost effective job for me but I am pretty much of the opinion at this point that they are unreliable.

Solid state radio repairmen are a dying breed and trying to find another is a dauntless task.

Perusing the internet, there seems to be a fair amount of repairmen whom replace the old guts with new circuitry while utilizing the stock case, knobs, plug and dial.

So I guess I am doing cost/ benefit analysis for both directions.

Thanks for the help folks!

daniel p.

Edited by dhp123166

It would matter to me.  I would probably rather have a non functioning factory radio than one that has had the insides removed.  I have a '71 with the factory radio.  I think the speaker cone is ripped.  So it sounds pretty bad.  I bought an AM for a '70 I am redoing.  I have no idea if it works but I will install it anyway.  If I am going over 40mph with the windows down, I cant hear it anyway.  Especially with my wife in the car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 87mj said:

It would matter to me.  I would probably rather have a non functioning factory radio than one that has had the insides removed.  I have a '71 with the factory radio.  I think the speaker cone is ripped.  So it sounds pretty bad.  I bought an AM for a '70 I am redoing.  I have no idea if it works but I will install it anyway.  If I am going over 40mph with the windows down, I cant hear it anyway.  Especially with my wife in the car.

Your wife gets in your Z? 

Wow, she's a keeper! ?

• 4 months later...

To me the whole "ambiance" inside the cabin is what matters. That includes all switches and knobs looking good and working properly, including the radio. I really don't mind if the radio was repaired with old or new technology as long as it looks era correct, but the best sound possible it emits is truly appreciated.

• Like 3

Matters to me since I like to keep it original for reasons that I had this same car as a teen new, and just want it the same now. That and I really don't care if the quality is not up to todays standards since I don't listen to music much while driving, I prefer the sound of the engine. For music I have my Fisher 400/HH Scott/Sansui 8080 etc...

• Like 1