IGNORED

72 Fairlady Z never converted to US requirements

BarbnBobB

My Father In Law passed away and he has some vehicles. One that he has is a 1972 Blue Fairlady Z with original 40,511 miles on it. The vehicle has never been converted to US emissions and does not even have a US vin # attached to it. The body and interior are in excellent condition but the engine has not been turned in quite a while. It appears that this vehicle was oringally owned by a US servicemen as it has a US Armed Forces sticker in the upper center of windshiled dated 1974. The left side window still has a sticker on it from Japan. Everything on the vehicle is in japanese. Where is a great place to put this vehicle up for sale as it may be a one of a kind. 

• Like 2

There are actually many that were brought back.  Prices are still high.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/58665-1972-fairlady-z-value/

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/62503-77-fairlady-z-on-craigslist/?tab=comments#comment-579787

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-s30-fairlady-z-right-hand-drive-japan-only/

Please post pics and the rest of the gang here can help you out. There are also experts from UK an Japan here who have great knowledge.

@HS30-H @kats@Mike B

• Like 2

Great to see another one surface. Same year as mine, S30-100698, with original 2l engine. (They changed the numbering format in that year, adding an additional digit. //////0

Mine also moved to the us with a returning service man. 

There were a couple of different models produced; FZ and FZ-L. The L had carpets, a rally clock and an 8 track. Does yours have a clock? 

Models and Years2.jpeg

6 hours ago, BarbnBobB said:

IMG_20190826_130243379.jpg

Judging by the bumpers (no rubber trim) I'd say it is likely to be an S30-S model 'Z-S' / 'Z-Std' / 'Standard' Fairlady Z rather than a Deluxe. The S30-S model had a 4-speed transmission as stock equipment, but the 5-speed O/D trans was an extra cost showroom option. Should be pretty easy to pin down the original model type.

It looks to be in great unmessed-with 'survivor' condition and should be pretty easy to sell. Why not try to sell it here on classiczcars.com?

Is it my imagination (can't see it all that clearly) or has the original bonnet/hood 'Z' emblem been replaced with a 'Datsun' emblem from an Export market car?

• Like 3