IGNORED

Restoration Unveiled Today 08.17.2019

Car54280ZX

Regarding ZCON, the ZCCA Stock category is a brutally difficult class as Zup and many others have learned.  The changes you listed might be difficult to undo and there will possibly be other items that need attention.  There is no other stock class available, cars with up to 15 modifications typically compete in the Street Modified class where it is not so much WHAT you did but rather HOW WELL you did it.  Your car would likely do very well in this class.

• Like 1

I'm starting the restoration on my 280zx AE.  I have received some quotes on the process, and I have sticker shock.  May I ask what you spent.

Car54280zx, the restoration is absolutely fantastic, and has set the standard I will try to match.

Edited by hansmeister

4 hours ago, hansmeister said:

May I ask what you spent.

Not to dissuade you, but are you looking for a good reason to not do it??

If you are expecting the finished "restoration" to look, drive and feel "as new" you should be prepared to spend what a new car would cost.

Probably more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hansmeister said:

I'm starting the restoration on my 280zx AE.  I have received some quotes on the process, and I have sticker shock.  May I ask what you spent.

If you just want to drive a nice restored classic, don't restore it yourself, just buy a good restored car. If you have to pay someone to do it you will have to pay 10's of 1000 dollars/euro's whatever..

I'm in the last let's say half a year of my 280zx 1979 slick-top  sort of restauration ( engine and so was perfect because of low mileage (kilometers in my case) and i'm after a perfect paintjob that will take place in a month or so i'll be going over 15000 dollar and then i'm NOT COUNTING THE MANY, MANY HOURS I GOT IN IT MYSELF..

Yes it is...  and should be a labour of love.  otherwise you don't have to go through all the trouble.  And if you think you can do it yourself, you need to be a handy man.. otherwise forget it..  (i have seen some people who started it but it never came to an end.. it ends like a bad dream and a big moneypitt.

• Like 1

Zup and dutchzcarguy - Thank you for your input.  It is appreciated.  The quotes I have are twice the funds available to me ($30K).  Obviously, I will need to perform as much work as possible myself.  I already have most of the parts that are needed (new, rebuilt, or overhauled).  The amount of labor needed will be enormous.  But, it has to be done.

As I proceed, I may need further advice, and will be looking forward to quality info.

My friend paid a shop to restore his 260Z over the course of 5 years. He sent cheques every month and paid for the work by the hour.... In the end his car was north of $140,000 Cdn, mostly for the hourly work. He paid $30,000 for the engine alone. This is not a hobby for the faint of heart.... or shallow of pocket.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 12:57 AM, Car54280ZX said:

Need to figure how to trouble shoot the status display.

Interesting… as an (old) electronic engineer.. i think it's a nixie tube display?  let me know what the problem is.. first find out where the electronics are sitting for it.. and that will have a lot of wiring to al sorts of sensors everywhere in the car.. the display doesn't work or does it light up partial..?

Nice 280zx just the color is not my cup of thea.. as the english say  haha...   good job!

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

My friend paid a shop to restore his 260Z over the course of 5 years. He sent cheques every month and paid for the work by the hour.... In the end his car was north of $140,000 Cdn, mostly for the hourly work. He paid $30,000 for the engine alone.This is not a hobby for the faint of heart.... or shallow of pocket.

D a m n!  I agree with you but WOW that's crazy money.

A world where everything is the exact opposite. Up is down, first is last, good is bad, wrong is right, white is black, logical is illogical, giving is taking, insanity is sane, liberty is tyranny, and vice versa. It's a place where literally, the sky is forest green and the trees are sky blue.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 8:34 AM, Patcon said:

There is a company in Greenville SC, circuit board medics. They might be able to troubleshoot you in-op display

On 8/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, Car54280ZX said:

I reached out on their website and sent an inquiry. I tried to sign-up as a user but they have to approve you.

It's Sunday, so I will wait to hear back from them.

Thanks for the tip!!

I reached-out to them but after several months, there has been no reply.

4 hours ago, Car54280ZX said:

I reached-out to them but after several months, there has been no reply.

What's the problem with your display.. there are lots of automotive electrics repair people in the States i guess? Put some pic's of the electronics here, maybe we ( @Captain Obvious ) or me ..  can help you ?