IGNORED

Restoration Unveiled Today 08.17.2019

Car54280ZX

I totally agree---beautiful car Rich---very nice.

Looks like you'll both be ready for Branson ZFest and Nashville next year---no problem.

Looking forward to seeing it and you. together.

4 hours ago, Zup said:

I totally agree---beautiful car Rich---very nice.

Looks like you'll both be ready for Branson ZFest and Nashville next year---no problem.

Looking forward to seeing it and you. togeth er.

Thanks, Zup ! It's been a long time restoration. Roberts Automotive Antique Car Restoration division did a great job. And really great people to work with. We really worked together on this - I did lots of the research. Then bought lots of items that I decided not to use - too cheap looking. Like carpet. I stayed with the original carpet and just had it cleaned by a fire restoration company. If a fire restoration company can't get stink out of things, no one can! 

One thing I messed up on is the valve cover. after months of frustration trying to learn how to restore the finish, I finally powder coated it. I learned at the 50th Anniversary International ZCon last month in Branson that I cannot enter into the pure stock category. Only purists (like all of us Z owners) would know the difference.

Items that I would have been penalized on include:

1. Powder coated valve cover.

2. Powder coated intake manifold.

3. Powder coated transmission bell housing.

4. Dealer installed pin striping.

5. Dealer installed side moulding (installed with rivets).

If I pull off the pin striping and the side moulding, I would see a paint color difference, requiring a complete re-paint. I have original paint, still. As far as the powder coating, tons more work to redo the intake manifold and bell housing. That's down the road a bit, now.

I hope to enter it into a slightly lower "stock" category at next year's Branson ZCon and Nashville.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colinc said:

I love that colour combo. Beautiful car. Congrats !

Check out this photo. My Mom (longtime deceased) found this in an ad in a 1981 volume of National Geographic.

Exact color, exact everything. I have it on one of my three display boards that I created.2018 0609 National Geographic 280ZX_vintage-ads-vintage-posters.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Beautiful car, extremely well done.  Congrats - now, drive the damn thing and get some long past due enjoyment out of it.

I "will" absolutely drive it this time around! What a huge mistake. I will store it in my attached garage this time, better humidity control. I'm thinking about buying a "CarCoon" from the UK. These CarCoons have a circulation system included. I would just have to install a 220 volt hook up in my garage, which should be a breeze.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

There is a company in Greenville SC, circuit board medics. They might be able to troubleshoot you in-op display

I reached out on their website and sent an inquiry. I tried to sign-up as a user but they have to approve you.

It's Sunday, so I will wait to hear back from them.

Thanks for the tip!!

• Like 1