IGNORED

Sitting for 2 years, won't start.

redfairladyzee

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. My 1976 280z was running fine last time I drove it, but after sitting in the CA sun for 2 years, I'm struggling to get it back on the road. 

After draining out the old gas, I have a new battery, new spark plugs, and a couple gallons of new gas in. When I go to start it, all I get is cranking, and no turn over, and I have yet to hear the fuel pump cone on. I've tried moving the new battery to the rear and getting 12v to the fuel pump directly, but this doesn't get the fuel pump going either, just a click. I also don't seem to be getting power to the fuel pump when cranking. 

Any ideas on what might be going on, or existing threads on this that I can go off of would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Oscar 

**Also zero fuel pressure when cranking**

*Reading taken under the hood, after the fuel filter*

Edited by redfairladyzee

Welcome Oscar!

If 12V direct to the pump does not make it hum then it seems to be dead.

There is a device in the front of the car called an airflow meter (AFM)  it has a mechanical switch that sends power to the pump when cranking. These can stick or corrode.

Have a look here:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, redfairladyzee said:

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. My 1976 280z was running fine last time I drove it, but after sitting in the CA sun for 2 years, I'm struggling to get it back on the road. 

After draining out the old gas, I have a new battery, new spark plugs, and a couple gallons of new gas in. When I go to start it, all I get is cranking, and no turn over, and I have yet to hear the fuel pump cone on. I've tried moving the new battery to the rear and getting 12v to the fuel pump directly, but this doesn't get the fuel pump going either, just a click. I also don't seem to be getting power to the fuel pump when cranking. 

Any ideas on what might be going on, or existing threads on this that I can go off of would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Oscar 

**Also zero fuel pressure when cranking**

*Reading taken under the hood, after the fuel filter*

Since you directly connected the pump to the battery and it didn't turn then the pump is dead.  Just go get a new pump or try @psdenno's idea and give it a smack.

Also, if you have the ability (air hose) try and blow out the metal fuel line (with the pump and fuel filter hoses disconnected of course.

Edited by chaseincats
  • Like 1

It doesn't run as great as I remember, but I did get it to start!!!! Thanks to all of you for your replies!!

Smacking the unit didn't work this time, so I went with a cheapo part from my local store just to get the project going. Will definitely look at an OE option soon. ??

5 minutes ago, redfairladyzee said:

It doesn't run as great as I remember, but I did get it to start!!!! Thanks to all of you for your replies!!

Smacking the unit didn't work this time, so I went with a cheapo part from my local store just to get the project going. Will definitely look at an OE option soon. ??

It's been sitting for two years. It's not going to run great with out some diligent work. Connections need to be cleaned and there may be varnish in the fuel system that may have to be dealt with

• Like 1

I had a bad fuel pump when I bought my car. Sat foe 18 yrs. I pulled it out and after tapping on it with 12V power applied it all of a sudden began to run. Never had a problem again with it . I also cleaned the screen in it.
I agree with getting an OEM pump. They’re actually extremely durable and I heard the aftermarket ones are hit or miss. You need to confirm your are getting 36 PSI to the injectors if it’s still running bad. Most guys buy a $20 inline pressure gauge and install it in the line exiting the fuel filter. It’s a good diagnostic tool also for future issues. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1