Jump to content

moozieman

Help with fuel pump!?

Recommended Posts

My 1977 280z needs a new fuel pump. There’s one that’s on the Datsun parts site for $70 and another on eBay for $30. I would love to just get by with the $30 one, but is that really what I want? They appear to be the same thing.

7DE3439D-208C-4C5C-A121-F619635CDD0A.png

1A839658-8810-4A70-A0AE-0BED8101AE5D.png

Edited by moozieman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do 5 minutes of comparison and you'll see. Zcardepot.com is a straight guy.

I paid $250 for my Bosch OE but nla. Beck Arnley has one still I think? I'd stay original if possible but there's a huge difference in money. Check, compare on rockauto.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pumps are actually getting cheaper.  The zcardepot pump picture looks like an Airtex.  They used to cost ~$99.

You should post the actual links.  The pictures aren't worth too much for figuring out value.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1977,280z,2.8l+l6,1209248,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Pumps are actually getting cheaper.  The zcardepot pump picture looks like an Airtex.  They used to cost ~$99.

You should post the actual links.  The pictures aren't worth too much for figuring out value.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1977,280z,2.8l+l6,1209248,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

Part numbers are even better.

They try and hide that but there's somethings that are the same. Maybe just a couple of numbers.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Pumps are actually getting cheaper.  The zcardepot pump picture looks like an Airtex.  They used to cost ~$99.

You should post the actual links.  The pictures aren't worth too much for figuring out value.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1977,280z,2.8l+l6,1209248,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

But should I buy a cheap pump? I just wanna make sure it’s the right thing. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352595624850

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ad says the brand is "Martin" and the eBay store is Martin's auto parts.  Looks like he's selling cheap Asia knockoffs.  $30 + $65 = what I paid back in 2009 for an Airtex.  

My Airtex pump has lasted probably 40,000 miles or more,  still works great.   So $65 for a known quantity (IF the zcardepot pump is an Airtex) or $30 for a mystery pump.

Edited by Zed Head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The ad says the brand is "Martin" and the eBay store is Martin's auto parts.  Looks like he's selling cheap Asia knockoffs.  $30 + $65 = what I paid back in 2009 for an Airtex.  

My Airtex pump has lasted probably 40,000 miles or more,  still works great.   So $65 for a known quantity (IF the zcardepot pump is an Airtex) or $30 for a mystery pump.

I guess my question is, how bad is a knock off? I mean can you really screw up a pump that badly? lol I'd hope to get a good life out of a pump by taking care of it. Ya know having the necessary fuel filters before gas reaches the pump.

Edited by moozieman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ryanotown22 said:

$23.50


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally the same thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling once you get below 100 dollars they are all pretty much the same. They are all made to push roughly the same amount of fuel. Of course this is just a nonscientific feeling. Some people say some are louder than others and some people say they lasted a few months and some last years and are quiet but it’s all just a crapshoot from what I have read.
A lot has to do with the angle of the pump and how low it’s mounted and how clean your tank is and how solid the power connections are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one thing I have noticed when I went down this road is try to make sure the inlet and outlet sizes are correct on the pump or you will need to either change them or get some fittings to go from one hose size to another.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ryanotown22 said:

Just one thing I have noticed when I went down this road is try to make sure the inlet and outlet sizes are correct on the pump or you will need to either change them or get some fittings to go from one hose size to another.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Thanks for the help! I think I might just get the cheapest I can find in hopes that they'll all be the same thing. And worst case scenario, it's only $30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's your money and time.  Cheaper than the wrecking yard.  Good luck.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Zed Head said:

It's your money and time.  Cheaper than the wrecking yard.  Good luck.

image.png

Did you look at the link I sent? I wanna make sure those pumps will work with fuel injection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ryanotown22 said:

Yes all that you listed will work with fuel injection


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, moozieman said:

He's using the same picture for both pumps, which he borrowed from Rockauto or some other site, or Airtex themselves.  So you don't really know which pump you're getting.  He might be selling the $30 pump for $67.50.  I'd call and ask for the brand and where he gets them before buying.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=60014&cc=1209260&jsn=364

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=60014&cc=1209260&jsn=364

Edited by Zed Head
freaking cut and paste doesn't work anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.