IGNORED

Tire leaking along rim

ramsesosirus

So I pulled the front right tire off, did the soapy water thing to find the leak, and its actually leaking along the rim.  It goes flat in a few days.

One guy told me to use the "sealant" with an air compressor?  I know slime makes it a mess in the future.  I've never used fix a flat or slime.

I'm not in a position to buy a new tire right now.  

When you put a tire on a rim, do you just fill it until it seals with the rim edge, or is there some sort of adhesive etc? Like if it was so flat that it popped off the rim, could you just manhandle it into place while filling it with air?

I don't mind filling it a little every month or so to drive it, but it's losing air too quickly now, and will probably go flat over the course of a cruising day....

It seems like all 4 have this problem, as they all lose air slowly, but the other 3 never actually go flat.  just a tad low.

I'm open for recommendations for what to do, or a brand to use etc.

Thanks

A road worker told me it will be another month before most of the potholes are fixed, so I have a little time to address this.

Edited by ramsesosirus

When the outer bead seals onto the rim it'll make a loud "pop" sound. If it comes loose normally you just fill until the POP. Ive used nylon racket straps to squeeze tires down so the air won't rush out along the rim then take it off, continue filling until the POP.

You could put half a can of fix a flat in each one to get them to stay sealed. I wouldn't use slime on a car tire. It settles at the bottom when cars sit and you have an unbalanced tire hop. Tire guys hate that stuff. Id get the thinner fix a flat and drive it immediately to get it spread evenly around the wheel. Good luck!

1 hour ago, ramsesosirus said:

So I pulled the front right tire off, did the soapy water thing to find the leak, and its actually leaking along the rim.  It goes flat in a few days.

One guy told me to use the "sealant" with an air compressor? 

The guys at the tire shops have a container of rubbery sealant that they brush on to any damaged areas of the bead, on either the tire or the rim, before they set the bead.  Probably what the "guy" was talking about.  Stop by a shop and ask them what it is.  Or just have all of your tires removed and reset.  

If you have steel wheels it might be rust.  My spare wheel (funny that we call it a spare tire when it's actually a whole wheel) sat flat with water on it and the bead rusted so badly it was ruined.

Cool, thanks guys.  I think I'll pick up a can of the fix a flat and start with that, but I won't put it in until I'm ready to roll around.

I just want to be able to drive it a few times a month really.

I did read it's sometimes rust, but they're not steel wheels, aluminum alloy I think.

Hmmm... that's good to know....

Maybe I should try to clean the wheel and "re mount" the tire instead... and maybe pick up some of that bead sealer stuff shops use.

Most stuff I read tells me the fix a flat type stuff is primarily to get you to the tire repair shop, not a "permanent" type thing.

EDIT: Watched a few videos about remounting tires.  Doesn't seem too tough.  The ratchet strap idea is good.  Some guys use fire to mount them.  I guess tires are one of the last areas I've never done much with, I think I'll try and maybe learn something....

Here's a guy using the fire method:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/outdoor-projects/how-to/a18991/how-to-set-a-tire-bead-with-fire/

(I should mention I've had over 20 flat tires in my day, so I can change a tire pretty quick if need be.  I've also gotten pretty ok with the tire plugs... they work well)

Edited by ramsesosirus
added video

13 hours ago, ramsesosirus said:

One guy told me to use the "sealant" with an air compressor?  I know slime makes it a mess in the future.  I've never used fix a flat or slime.

I'm not in a position to buy a new tire right now.  

When you put a tire on a rim, do you just fill it until it seals with the rim edge, or is there some sort of adhesive etc? Like if it was so flat that it popped off the rim, could you just manhandle it into place while filling it with air?

I don't mind filling it a little every month or so to drive it, but it's losing air too quickly now, and will probably go flat over the course of a cruising day....

It seems like all 4 have this problem, as they all lose air slowly, but the other 3 never actually go flat.  just a tad low.

I'm open for recommendations for what to do, or a brand to use etc.

Thanks

A road worker told me it will be another month before most of the potholes are fixed, so I have a little time to address this.

Often, when a car sits for long periods of time, moisture collects at the bottom rim bead area and causes a little  corrosion.  I think if you pop the tire off of the wheel and clean up the wheel bead area, that should solve your leaking problem.

Edited by AZ-240z
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AZ-240z said:

Often, when a car sits for long periods of time, moisture collects at the bottom rim bead area and causes a little  corrosion.  I think if you pop the tire off of the wheel and clean up the wheel bead area, that should solve your leaking problem.

Makes sense.  My Z sits in a garage 99% of the time.  

Thanks for help guys.  With my luck, I'll get it to stop leaking just as I careen into the one remaining pothole that hasn't been fixed and bend the wheel and probably get high centered as well haha