IGNORED

Valve stem replacement w/ head in car

This is all great information, and I will definitely take it all into consideration. I'm honestly leaning towards letting it be for now, but if I do, I'll keep an eye on oil consumption to determine weather or not it's time, and move ahead on my engine build.

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, rossiz said:

it's actually a pretty straightforward job, costs less than dinner at a nice restaurant, no huge skills needed and rather satisfying when done. the bonus is it forces you to adjust your valves - always a good thing to do on an older motor...

i think it's around an hour or so to do the whole thing and the valve guide seals are cheap. the only things that could cause you drama are:

• dropping something into the hole of doom (cam chain area) so be sure to stuff it w/rags as soon as you take off the valve cover and you'll be fine.
  • loosing a valve keeper - they can fly when they break loose, so do it in your shop vs. out in the gravel driveway (don't ask me how i know this) also see bullet #1 for flying valve keepers
  • damaging the valve cover gasket - should be able to re-use, but if the cover's not been pulled in a long time they can stick and tear, but they're pretty cheap anyway.

that's really all there is to it for "danger/warnings" otherwise i wouldn't shy away from it at all if you want a fun little saturday afternoon project.

An hour or sooooooooooooooooooooooo